Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hackett Lowther Ambulance unit

Guest leibregiment100

Guest leibregiment100

I have a group of medals to the Hon Eileen Plunket, she is listed as serving with the Hackett -Lowther Ambulance unit, I am aware that they served with the French 3rd Army in the Compeigne and Saint Quentin campaigns,

are there any books written on the unit? can any one assist with a photo of Eileen?

post-38-1104755745.jpg

I have found one entry in the 1901 census for Eileen Plunkett (note slightly different spelling). She is a 19 year old nurse at the Isolation Hospital in Monks Coppenhall, Cheshire. She was born in Co. Cork, Ireland. Obviously no way of knowing for certain in this is the same person, but the fact that she was a nurse caught my eye.

I also found reference to a book "Britannia's Glory", a history of 20th century lesbianism in Great Britain. It contains a reference to the Hon Eileen Plunkett being the partner of Enid Elliot, and also inlcudes a reference to Barbara Lowther, saying that she "set up an Ambulance Unit in WW1 and received Croix De Guerre".

Other than that, nothing to report, I'm afraid.

Steve

Check Lines of fire: women writers of WWI edited by Margaret Higonnet for excerpts by Katherine Hodges North, another member of Hackett Lowther unit. (Hodges' full memoirs are, unfortunatley, unpubllished, and in the care of the helpful people at the University of Leeds.) The IWM also has some material on the unit.

From "For Dauntless France" by Laurence Binyon.

An independant unit of women drivers, known as the Hackett-Lowther Unit, was founded in August 1917. These Englishwoman draw soldier's rations and form a military unit (like the F.A.N.Y.). They do not work on the actual front, they do valued service in transporting the wounded to and from evacuation hospitals and stations on the railways. They drive by night and by day, wherever they are sent".

• 1 month later...
Guest leibregiment100

Jim, sorry for the delay but have been abroad, the naming is in the style of all civilians ie initial and surname name, however it is the MIC that shows the unit unlike the French Red Cross which is on the top left of the medal roll,

I also have her husbands WW1 pair,

Stephen and Pennyk, thanks for the leads, strikes me that it was an unusual unit in that it was under French army control,

Paul

• 11 years later...

From my own current project:

PLUNKET, Hon. Miss Eileen Plunket. B Ireland Daughter of William Lee Plunket GCMG, GCVO. m1931 Roland Barnard d1966.

"AN INTERESTING ENGAGEMENT. The engagement is announced in The  Times between Mr. Rowland Barnard, of Cairo, son of the late Colonel W. A. M. Barnard, Grenadier Guards, and grandson of Sir Henry Barnard, K.C.8., and the Hon. Eileen Plunket, daughter of the late Lord Plunket, and Lady Victoria Braithwaite, of Whitehouse, Denham, Bucks. 

A Motoring Honeymoon The wedding of the Hon. Eileen Plunket and Mr Roland Barnard will take place October 12, so that the bridegroom and bis wife will be able arrive in 'Cairo in time for the start of the racing season. Mr Barnard is the official judge for the Jockey Club in Egypt. Their honeymoon will consist of a motoring trip to Trieste, where thev will pick up the boat. Miss Plunket is having a wedding dress of gold lace, and her little bridesmaids who will be Miss Fiona Smith and M Neelia Plunket —will have long and frilly frocks of powder blue shot organdie, while the two pages, the Hon. Robin Plunket and Master Timothy Whitborne, will appear in short blue velvet knickerbockers and soft white silk shirts, all these small people being the bride's nieces and nephews. Her brother, Lord Plunket, will give her away, and the best man is to Viscount Valentia. Christ Church, Down Street, is the church chosen, and there; will be no reception, though all friends will welcome at the church.

Edited by HELENAWOJTCZAK

• 6 years later...
On 03/01/2005 at 13:35, Guest leibregiment100 said:

I have a group of medals to the Hon Eileen Plunket, she is listed as serving with the Hackett -Lowther Ambulance unit, I am aware that they served with the French 3rd Army in the Compeigne and Saint Quentin campaigns,

are there any books written on the unit? can any one assist with a photo of Eileen?

post-38-1104755745.jpg

Eileen Plunket is my daughter's great grandmother . She drove an ambulance in France during WW1 and did receive the Croix de Guerre 

• Admin

Welcomed to the forum Annie. liebregiment100 is no longer a member here, but there’s a number @leibregiment who might be the same person. 

2 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Welcomed to the forum Annie. liebregiment100 is no longer a member here, but there’s a number @leibregiment who might be the same person. 

Thank you so much. I would love to get in touch with this person. Will have to teach myself how to find my way round here.

On 03/01/2005 at 13:35, Guest leibregiment100 said:

post-38-1104755745.jpg

Eileen Plunket is my daughter's great grandmother . She drove an ambulance in France during WW1 and did receive the Croix de Guerre