Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

206027 Sgt..Albert. E. Drew. DCM

STEVENG

I am researching this soldier who won the DCM  I seen from his index card he was given the Territorial war medal. Would this medal be given prior to his service in WW1  or would he claim it after the war?.

Also what were the Northampton Regiment doing near Oppy in15th  September 1918.

Hi,

The  TFM was instituted just post WW1 in recognition of service during the war - 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_War_Medal

In relation to your second query it may assist members if you identify the Battalion Sgt Drew was serving with.

Steve

Hi,

I’m sure a member will post a link to the Battalion WD on Ancestry although if you are in UK you will find it freely available via Ancestry in your local library.

Steve

Some of Albert's papers are available on Find my Past. You probably have the citation for his DCM. 

Whilst on a daylight patrol with his platoon commander and rifle section on 15th September 1918, near Oppy, they suddenly came under heavy rifle, grenade and machine-gun fire from the enemy's lines , less than 70 yards away. One man was killed and another was seriously wounded, and the party had to be still in shell holes for seven hours. He then volunteered to go back and bring up stretcher-bearers. On his return he, after searching for some hours under machine-gun fire, located and got back the wounded officer and man.

Bob