Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC Uniform.

nikp

Hello all.

Just a question regarding the strictness of  what was and was not allowed . My Grandfather served in the RAMC ( his picture is the one used in the Imperial War Museum as an example of the RAMC uniform) and I am trying to recreate the same uniform. However he always had a pair of leather gaiters/leggings and I wonder whether a private would have been allowed to wear these? I am also aware that he had a pair of private purchase boots and again was he allowed to wear these. Was there much discretion in the wearing of " non standard " uniform. I have seen him in a pair of  cut off shorts which I guess were modified from a pair of long trousers.

Any info gratefully received .

Nik, certain men were issued leather gaiters for special purposes (e.g. those in open vehicle cabs or on motorcycles) and shorts were also permitted during some hot summers. In general complying with correct dress was quite strict, but regular units were more sticklers for this than others and as the war went on the pragmatism and disregard of some wartime only soldiers seeped into the front lines despite best efforts of NCOs.  Also both, rear area and support troops in the front line (such as RAMC) could often get away with some irregular items.  I suspect your gf boots fell into this category. A lot depends on whether you wish to depict a front line appearance or something more appropriate for in barracks.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks for that. I will stick to the proper uniform but for the boots . The ones I have will allow my new knee a bit of ease!!

2 hours ago, nikp said:

Thanks for that. I will stick to the proper uniform but for the boots . The ones I have will allow my new knee a bit of ease!!

Clearly you intend to portray ‘Old Bill’.

I wish. I need to work on the tache. I still haven't found a "better ole".