Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

alistair_m

Hi all,

As a teacher at NBHS, and having used this valuable forum over several years for my own research, I'm considering starting a Centenary Project with staff and pupils.

Id like to be able to build up a picture of former pupils involved in the Great War, and ultimately, ancestors of both the staff and pupils currently at the school, culminating in an exhibition of some sort, and possibly a web site. 

I would be most grateful for any help that I can get. I'd like the kids to get involved, but any information for starters would be gratefully appreciated. 

Many thanks in advance.

Alistair

Alistair

i assume you would like to teach the children the process of research

so as usual I would point to the soldier’s section of the LongLongTrail that gives the basic of researching a soldier

To me you need to start with what records the school has and/or are available locally. So does the school have a memorial, is there a local news paper that existed at the time, what are the names on the local war memorials. You will need access to certain websites. 

So decide what the learning experience is and then work out what tools you need to meet that. 

The big thing for me is to make it personally interesting for each pupil 

edit

I see from here http://www.johngraycentre.org/east-lothian-subjects/war-battles-military/war-memorials/north-berwick-world-war-one-memorials/

there is  a NHBS memorial. It also shows the dates they were  in the Courier (local newspaper?). Plus names on several other local memorials. Many are the same names. Good place to start. 

Perhaps also get them to start tracing their relations back to WW1 so that will give you another set of names. Some of which will have survived.

Edited by Mark1959

Many thanks for this Mark

ive had quite an extraordinary response from pupils of all ages at school - and many of the staff too!  In my own research, this forum has been invaluable, so I'm hoping that when things start picking up and we do have some names, I'll get the same response..

i will indeed take account of everything you have suggested and hopefully you'll see some progress posted soon.

best regards

Alistair

Excellent. Feel free to send me a private message if you require any more help. However, I do not have access to the Scottish people records.

Edited by Mark1959