Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown Cemetery at Gallipoli

john white

Dear Colleagues 

With reference to the attached photograph of an Australian officer paying respects to his dead comrades does anyone know the name of the cemetery please? When the battlefield was being cleared some of the cemeteries were consolidated and  it may be true of this one. I have seen the photograph  in several books , one of which stated it was Lancashire  Landing Cemetery but I don't think so.

Regards

John White

Anzac Officer paying his Respects.jpg

31 minutes ago, john white said:

Dear Colleagues 

With reference to the attached photograph of an Australian officer paying respects to his dead comrades does anyone know the name of the cemetery please? When the battlefield was being cleared some of the cemeteries were consolidated and  it may be true of this one. I have seen the photograph  in several books , one of which stated it was Lancashire  Landing Cemetery but I don't think so.

Regards

John White

Anzac Officer paying his Respects.jpg

I wonder if anyone has a printed copy, it may be possible to read the names with a magnifying glass.

Craig

This is a little higher resolution but I still can't read the names. http://www.ww1photos.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/A_Group_Of_Twenty_Graves_On_The_Peninsula.27451312_large.jpg

Edited by Gareth Davies

That page gives a reference to the original held at the AWM but I agree that the scenery doesn't look very like.

Keith

i think it is Lancashire Landing, is not one of the crosses

FAIRWEATHER-Storekeeper-F J--H.M.T. Karoa-Mercantile Marine----28/08/1915-----LANCASHIRE LANDING CEMETERY-K. 32

Bob

It's about the right size for New Zealand No.2 Outpost. The background looks reasonable as well.

The modern cemetery has 38 graves.

Garth

7 minutes ago, gem22 said:

It's about the right size for New Zealand No.2 Outpost. The background looks reasonable as well.

The modern cemetery has 38 graves.

Garth

Or No. 2 Outpost Cemetery.  

As the background is the key to solving the problem.  

I think I can just make out the names of jones

Edited by thetrenchrat22

Just looking on Google Maps the Lancashire Landing Cemetery doesn't appear to have that substantial rock wall in the background as is shown in the picture - unless the cemetery location has been moved.

Craig

Using the picture supplied by Gareth I've upped the resolution and sharpened the picture as much as I can. It looks as though it may be 'Fairweather' with 'Mills' just behind. I would agree that to the rear it looks like 'Jones'. IF this is correct then all three appear on the Grave Registration Report for Lancashire Landing Cemetery. Hope the attached cropped picture helps.

Regards

Alan

A_Group_Of_Twenty_Graves_On_The_Peninsula 1500 pix C.jpg

Edited by alantwo
Trying a different resolution for picture

1 hour ago, bobpike said:

i think it is Lancashire Landing, is not one of the crosses

FAIRWEATHER-Storekeeper-F J--H.M.T. Karoa-Mercantile Marine----28/08/1915-----LANCASHIRE LANDING CEMETERY-K. 32

Bob

If Bob & Alan are correct 

then K32 was transferred from one of the islands per the CWGC website:

The 97 graves in Row K and graves 31 to 83 in Row L were brought in after the Armistice from the following Aegean islands cemeteries:- KEPHALOS BRITISH CEMETERY, on the island of Imbros (Imbroz), was 640 metres inland from Kephalos Pier. There were buried in it 84 British, Australian and New Zealand sailors and soldiers, three Greeks, and one German prisoner. KUSU BAY CEMETERY, on the island of Imbros (Imbroz), contained the graves of 45 officers and men (14 of them unidentified) of the monitors Raglan and M28, which were sunk by the German battle cruiser Goeben and cruiser Breslau as they attempted to break out into the Mediterranean from the Black Sea on 20 January 1918 (both the Breslau and the Goeben later struck mines, off Cape Kephalos, which resulted in the Breslau sinking and the Goeben being grounded of Chanak). PANAGHIA CHURCHYARD, on the island of Imbros (Imbroz), contained the graves of one officer and five men from the monitors and four airmen of the 62nd Wing, Royal Air Force. PARASKEVI CEMETERY, near the South-West shore of the island of Tenedos (Bozcaada), contained the graves of four sailors, one soldier and one marine.

Michael - you might have cracked it;  I wonder what evidence the AWM have for their caption.

Making a search on the internet for images of No. 2 Outpost Cemetery.  

There is a photo of the original battlefield cross for W R Pyle.  

Looking at the two photographs, I can safely say, that the Photograph posted by John White is not No. 2 Outpost Cemetery.  

83AC180B-0ED3-4221-8F0D-163F73DCFB13.jpeg

Reading the CWGC web-page again, I think that we can eliminate

PARASKEVI CEMETERY, as there are clearly more than six graves in our picture

PANAGHIA can be eliminated as it is not a churchyard which we are seeing either

KUSU BAY CEMETERY, was only for the victims of the Goeben & Breslau

So I think that it must be Kephalo British Cemetery which we are looking at

The piers at Kephalo are marked on this map, and though by no means clear, it is possible that the cemetery is the rectangle behind the kidney shaped hill. Indeed the indistinct word above may say 'Cemetery'. This would be about 640 metres from the pier, not as the crow flies but taking into account going around the hill

It would be nice if someone could get a better map or more certain information here

5a7df7ab838c0_ImbrosMEFKephalopierscrop.jpg.9325bdfc577bfe48db76fd595bfa9b31.jpg

Edited by michaeldr

13 minutes ago, michaeldr said:

So I think that it must be Kephalo British Cemetery which we are looking at

The piers at Kephalo are marked on this map, and though by no means clear, it is possible that the cemetery is the rectangle behind the kidney shaped hill. Indeed the indistinct word above may say 'Cemetery'. This would be about 640 metres from the pier, not as the crow flies but taking into account going around the hill

It would be nice if someone could get a better map or more certain information here

5a7df7ab838c0_ImbrosMEFKephalopierscrop.jpg.9325bdfc577bfe48db76fd595bfa9b31.jpg

Flight Commander Charles Herbert Collet died 19/08/1915 when his plane crashed at the Kephalo Cliffs. 

Photo of his original grave here:

http://www.gallipoli.com.tr/if_stones_could_speak/lancashire_landing_cemetery.htm

Reinterred(?) at the Lancashire Landing Cemetery:

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/599687/collet,-charles-herbert/

JP

Hi all, I can confirm this is K Beach cemetery on Imbros.

Will post some then and now photos when I get home.

I went looking for the location in 2016 and walked the ground. 

So so many photos on both AWM and IWM websites have incorrect captions. A way to capture community contributions would be helpful.

And I can confirm b3rn's confirmation - having visited the former cemetery in 2017 - with b3rn and a couple of other reprobates.

2 hours ago, Phil Wood said:

And I can confirm b3rn's confirmation - having visited the former cemetery in 2017 - with b3rn and a couple of other reprobates.

And of course, you can too, by joining Peter Hart's battlefield tour of Gallipoli in September!

I think another identifiable grave in the photo is -

MILLS-Private-J B-2907-7th Bn.-Royal Welsh Fusiliers----11/08/1915-29-Son of Mills and Ellen Mills, of 10, Penygraig St., Llanidloes, Mont---LANCASHIRE LANDING CEMETERY-K. 28

Photo taken 2017, from not quite the same angle and location, but showing the distinctive rock formation behind the cemetery. 

IMG_0184_stitch.jpg

Graves of Cecil Horace Brinsmead, Australian-born RNAS pilot, and his observer Lieutenant Noel Henry Boles, at K Beach cemetery.

The pair were shot down when they were jumped by two Fokkers over Cape Helles on 11 January 1916.

Image courtesy Richard Powell and the Boles family of Devon. Further images accompany an article in the most recent edition of the journal of the Australian Society of WW1 Aero Historians. Electronic membership available.

brinsmead-then-and-now-photo4.jpg

Michael, not yet found a good copy or scan of that map.

On my phone so don't take these coordinates as precise but it's behind the high ground that runs out to the point from K Beach.

40.1535088, 25.9627798

1 hour ago, b3rn said:

On my phone so don't take these coordinates as precise but it's behind the high ground that runs out to the point from K Beach.

40.1535088, 25.9627798

On 09/02/2018 at 21:35, michaeldr said:

Thanks again Bern

Your above coordinates are a pretty good match for my earlier guess

Anyone wanting to double check this should use Google maps + Bern's 

1 hour ago, b3rn said:

40.1535088, 25.9627798

best regards

Michael

• 3 years later...

The photograph shows front left the temporary grave of my grandfather, Frederick Joseph Fairweather, British, who had been a chief steward on liners before the war but volunteered to work on Karoa which was a troop transporter at the time of his death. I heard that he had been shot while manning a ship to shore boat, fell into the water and was washed up on an island where he was buried. Years later he was dug up and taken to K row at Lancashire Landing Cemetery, with many others who were buried on islands. I have visited his grave. I have his birth and marriage certificates but don't know how to get his death certificate. I have a copy of the ship's log for the first 6 months of the year of his death but the relevant second six months log has been lost, so I cannot confirm the true cause of death, as written by the Master. Not information about the little graveyard, which has been covered by others  thoroughly, but might be of interest. He was from Leyton, London. His son, Jack Ryan Fairweather was lost in his teens on HMS Mary Rose, sunk by the Bremse. Chatham War Memorial. Thanks to everybody for their work on here.