Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

reserching Pte 8683 F GODWIN 2nd Gloucestershire Regiment

Sgt Stripes

Hi. I really need some help with my research into Pte 8683 Frederick Godwin 2nd Gloucester Regiment who sadly died or was possibly KIA on March 8 1918 in Salonika. His name is on the Doiran memorial to the missing. I have yet to research what happened on that day but I do know one other man was also missing and another DOW. Commonweath war graves states that he was the son of Richard and Hester "Esther" Kate Godwin of East End, Ashton Keynes, Cricklade and was aged 23 years. I have both the 1901 and 1911 census for Richard and Hester but there is no mention of Frederick Godwin however there is on the 1901 census a Frederick W Godwin aged 10. F W Godwin's birth is recorded as 1890. Although it looks like F W Godwin is the same man who died in Salonika, there are a few things wrong. I found service papers to 436 Pte Frederick W Godwin address East End Cricklade who enlisted into the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry on July 8 1911 but his papers state he served at home until June 13 1916. Pte 8683 F Godwin's MIC state his first date of entry was January 20 1915. Forces war records also state he was wounded April 25 1915 Hester Kate Godwin Died in 1911 which would explain why on Frederick Godwin's soldiers effects, only his fathers name is on it. So my question is , Is FREDERICK W GODWIN really Pte 8683 FREDERICK GODWIN 2nd Gloucester Regiment or am I missing something that is staring me in the face. Many Thanks             

Edited by Sgt Stripes

Looking at the Glos number it would tie in with a man being born in 1890 and enlisting at age 18 as the number was issued late 1907/ early 1908.

I wonder if the CWGC record is wrong - the information was often scanned in and thus numbers can be wrong. If it's a common OCR error of an 8 being picked up as a 3, so age 28 rather than 23, that would give a date of birth of around 1890 and tie in nicely.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

I think I'm possibly right over the OCR error

In 1911 Private F Godwin, age 21 of 'Aston Keynes Aston Wilks', was resident at Verdala Barracks in Malta with the 2nd Bn, Glos.

Craig

I believe this is the right man Craig and thank you for this information but those Territorial  papers do not add up .

There has to be two men, bur clearly related, as one obviously cannot be in the Yeomanry in 1911 whilst another in the Glos'.

The Yeomany man's records show his father. It's not R Godwin, looks like F Godwin.
image.png.9d98a2832b036395d456cf48ae9bcb52.png

Craig

Hi,

4 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

The Yeomany man's records show his father. It's not R Godwin, looks like F Godwin.

In the 1911 census there is a Frederick, son of Frederick living in Kent End, Ashton Keyes. His age is given as 28 though, which doesn't quite square with the declared age of 25 in the yeomanry man's paperwork of September 1910.

Regards

Chris

1 minute ago, clk said:

Hi,

In the 1911 census there is a Frederick, son of Frederick living in Kent End, Ashton Keyes. His age is given as 28 though, which doesn't quite square with the declared age of 25 in the yeomanry man's paperwork of September 1910.

Regards

Chris

Thanks  Chris, I'm sure that must be the Yeomanry man.

Craig

Thanks for looking at this. I am glad other members are as totally confused as me. there must be a answer somewhere  .  

Edited by Sgt Stripes