Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner Herbert Embley. 218 Bde RFA

I am trying to trace information on a relative Gunner 214469 Herbert Embley who apparently took his own life while in East Leeds War Hospital on the 13th October 1918. I understand he had been stationed with the 218 Bde Royal Field Artillery in Jubbalpore, India but this about all I know. Can anyone point me in the right direction

When he died his effects records show that £7 (net), (£9 gross), was paid out as war gratuity - this was for 20 months qualifying service.

Craig

33 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

When he died his effects records show that £7 (net), (£9 gross), was paid out as war gratuity - this was for 20 months qualifying service.

That fits in with his number, which was issued at No. 2 Depot RFA, Preston around the middle of February 1917.

The effects record also mentions No. 3 Royal Artillery Training Depot at Jubbulpore rather than 218th Brigade RFA.

I don't think 218th Brigade RFA were there at all. I have the constituent batteries at Ferozepore, Ambala and Delhi.

Unfortunately, the artillery stationed in India is difficult to research.

Just now, David Porter said:

That fits in with his number, which was issued at No. 2 Depot RFA, Preston around the middle of February 1917.

The effects record also mentions No. 3 Royal Artillery Training Depot at Jubbulpore rather than 218th Brigade RFA.

I don't think 218th Brigade RFA were there at all. I have the constituent batteries at Ferozepore, Ambala and Delhi.

Unfortunately, the artillery stationed in India is difficult to research.

Thanks David, I couldn't make out the unit listed on the register.

Craig