Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Use of Shotgun on RNAS Bleriot Parasol

AlanD

On page 25 of the Osprey booklet, "Royal Naval Air Service Pilot 1914-1918", there is a photo of the cockpit of a Bleriot Parasol aircraft, showing a shotgun in a mounting just above the wing.

Unfortunately, the caption accompanying the photograph does not give a date.

This is only the second photograph I have seen on an aircraft from the Great War, with a shotgun as armament. Does anyone else have any similar photos of shotgun equipped aircraft they could post?

Also, how many Bleriot Parasol aircraft were taken into service, both RNAS and RFC?

Regards

AlanD

Sydney

2 hours ago, AlanD said:

On page 25 of the Osprey booklet, "Royal Naval Air Service Pilot 1914-1918", there is a photo of the cockpit of a Bleriot Parasol aircraft, showing a shotgun in a mounting just above the wing.

Unfortunately, the caption accompanying the photograph does not give a date.

This is only the second photograph I have seen on an aircraft from the Great War, with a shotgun as armament. Does anyone else have any similar photos of shotgun equipped aircraft they could post?

Also, how many Bleriot Parasol aircraft were taken into service, both RNAS and RFC?

Regards

AlanD

Sydney

Hi

Bleriot Parasols in RNAS service serials No. 1538-1549 (page 406, 'British Naval Aircraft since 1912', Owen Thetford, Putnam).  More details on the individual aircraft are found in 'Royal Navy Aircraft Serials and Units 1911-1919', Sturtivant and Page, Air-Britain, pages 79-80.  From this it appears most spent their time in Britain, mainly Eastchurch.  Two Nos. 1547 and 1548 went to St.Pol to No. 1 Sqn. (later 1 Wing).

In RFC service it appears about 14 were used, serial Nos. 575-586, 616, 2861-2862.  ('The Aeroplanes of the Royal Flying Corps (Military Wing)' Bruce, Putnam, pages138-141). Use includes by No. 3 and No. 5 Sqns.  The use by No. 3 Sqn.is well covered in McCudden's 'Flying Fury', it includes bomb dropping and artillery spotting with lamp signalling (either French pattern or RAF type).  Not much in the way of mentioning that shotguns were used.

Mike

As an aside, the Admiralty, Air  Department , Handbook of Aircraft Armament, 1916, C.B. 1161, has an illustration of a Holland & Holland shotgun mounted on a Sopwoth Schneider Cup design sea plain. Elsewhere I have seen a reference which I cannot find at the moment referring to shotguns being used on AVRO (model not stated) aircraft the performance of which meant a Lewis gun was to heavy to be fitted.

Alan

Alan,

Just a passing thought.......................

I have used various infantry weapons during my army service, but have never fired a shotgun.

How close would you have to be to your target to be effective?

Michael

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:58, michaeldr said:

Alan,

Just a passing thought.......................

I have used various infantry weapons during my army service, but have never fired a shotgun.

How close would you have to be to your target to be effective?

Michael

depends what you mean by effective. A 12 bore loaded with LG shot ( 8 pellets , each .36" in diameter for a standard 1-1/4 ounce load) would be a danger to humans at 100 yards, not so much an aeroplane. Shot spread at that range would probably be about 6 ft.  (the larger the shot, the less it spreads)

Thanks, Radlad

1 hour ago, Radlad said:

would be a danger to humans at 100 yards, not so much an aeroplane

Probably why carrying this sort of weapon is not heard of too much

regards

Michael