Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tunnellers ?

madman

Hi all I've collected medals to the Royal Engineers for a while and was curious is There a way to identify a tunneller from his service number ? Or is it not so Simple thanks for reading 

Nathan 

Whilst Lars was finding and giving you a reference book I had ploughed through 300 REs killed in 1915 in six pages of SDGW. Not much of a hint of a system for Tunnellers as far as I can see, though dearly hope there is ! 22 deaths attributed to Tunnelling Companies from 170 to 180, from April to Dec. Numbers ranged from 79948 to 139380, with a hint of blocks in 86000s and 102000s which may have coincided with swifter recruitment periods.

Checked the 1917 re-number of the RE Territorials and there are no TCs listed specifically to number blocks.

Nathan,

Based on SDITGW database a number of blocks of regimental numbers for the T.C.s seem plausible. 

Try -

79000-86900

91000-91999

102000-102999

146000-148999

155000-158999

175000-175999

198000-199100

There are a few other blocks where there seem to be a preponderance of R.E. (Tunneller) deaths, according to SDITGW.

Cheers,

Rob 

I have a 1914 Star to a member of the King's Shropshire Light Infantry who transferred to the Royal Engineers. He was given a 790** number and is confirmed, on the medal roll, as serving in the 185th Tunnelling Company.

Sepoy

Thanks all for your replies they are very much appreciated the man im curious about is 157639 SPR J H KING R.E 

His number sits in the brackets mentioned but no other inication

Of being a tunneller

atb cheers 

• 1 year later...

Hello, not sure where to post this. But I am researching a Second Lieutenant Percy Coates who was KIA 1916. Records show Percy as 180 Company Royal Engineers (CWGC mistakenly shows 160, but the file showing the cemetery book has 180). I assume this means 180 Tunnelling Company? However as the word tunnelling is not present I just wanted to double check. Then I will download the war diary. Help in confirming this will be appreciated 

Thanks, I wasn't 100% sure that the numbers were unique to tunnelling companies, ie could have been a 180 light railway or something. Apart from the war diary and service record are there any other sources to research Percy Coates?

20 minutes ago, adam1981 said:

Thanks, I wasn't 100% sure that the numbers were unique to tunnelling companies, ie could have been a 180 light railway or something. Apart from the war diary and service record are there any other sources to research Percy Coates?

Percy Coates - Institution of Civil Engineers Obituary:

https://www.icevirtuallibrary.com/doi/abs/10.1680/imotp.1916.16029

JP

The Grave Registration Report [CWGC] for 2/Lt Coates actually gives "180 Coy R.E."; definitely a tunnelling company.  Further down the same page Cpl. C. O'Brien 86174 is listed as "108 Tunn. Co. R.E." definitely not a tunnelling company!  Tuypoos are such a nuicance!

Thanks for the replies. The back of the MIC has a Sheffiled address and Percy appears to be on the Sheffiled roll, so I may email their library for a newspaper search. He is also on a Leeds council roll which records as sewerage department. 

Am I likely to have any look with the war diary? Plan to download this evening

I think this answers my original question regarding if Percy was a tunneller.

Tunnel warfare must have been extremely trying, very brave men.  

edit - all war is trying and all are brave men!

Edited by adam1981