Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner E D Rubery

Archery Judge

My grandfather Ernest Dagley Rubery was a gunner in 375 (S) Siege Battery RGA. He enlisted 4th June 1917, number 167195 and moved to Prees Heath camp for training. I know from his Casualty Form Active Service that he was posted to France on 12th November 1917. It looks as though he was  discharged about 3rd February 1919, but it would be nice to know where he was in the intervening period.

375 SB was a part of a 2nd Army Group which included 72 SB and 104 SB for the period Jun 1916 to Oct 1918. Here a ref to the War Diary which will explain areas and daily activity:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/930bc98a4c7b4c78886a92d12ec845d3

and will cost £3.50 download for the privilege.

Edited by sotonmate

Interesting to see that he would have gone to France just turned 39, but a big man 6ft, 12.5 stone, A1 medical. Apparently a very good singer as well! In the Roll I mention above it lists those who were wounded whilst with the battery so he seems to have escaped that.

I think he was first posted to Base Depot in France and then on 20/11/17 joined 375 SB.

Charlie

On 06/02/2018 at 13:30, charlie962 said:

Interesting to see that he would have gone to France just turned 39, but a big man 6ft, 12.5 stone, A1 medical. Apparently a very good singer as well! In the Roll I mention above it lists those who were wounded whilst with the battery so he seems to have escaped that.

I think he was first posted to Base Depot in France and then on 20/11/17 joined 375 SB.

Charlie

Charlie

I was wondering where you got the information about my grandfather’s singing voice. He passed the talent on to his youngest daughter (my mother) but then it seems to have vanished.

Archery Judge