Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Howan from Stow on the Wold

I'm trying to find information about my great grandfather, John Howman (born 1895 - died 1958), who was from Stow-on-the-wold and probably served with the Glosters during WW1. My mother remembers seeing  a picture of him in uniform that she thinks was taken in 1916 but unfortunately we have not been able to relocate the picture. He survived the war and was a keen cricketer who went on to play a few times for Gloucestershire in the 1920s. I have been trying to confirm if he did serve with the Glosters and in which battalion but with no luck so far. Maybe someone on the forum could help. Thanks, Jimmy

Welcome to the forum

Cannot find any record referring to any John Howman in the Glos Regiment in WW1. 

Indeed there only seems to be one serving John Howman. He was in the Royal Garrison Artillery. number 69918. However there are no surviving service papers for this man. At the moment I can find no definitive evidence to link this man with your GGF. This man was a bombardier. The medal roll shows his unit as 506 Siege Battery, RGA

If he is wearing a cap badge that looks like Arsenal FC's badge then that might suggest the soldier mentioned is he. 

Useless fact.. the village of Upper Slaughter just outside Stow ... despite its name .. is one of the few places in the UK without a war memorial .. no locals were killed in either world war

• Admin

Is it worth contacting Gloucestershire CCC to see if they have any information regarding his war service? There may be some newspaper clippings which mention his regiment. 

Michelle