Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tanga (East Africa) DCM winner

jim_davies

Just finished reading an account of the fighting in German East Africa.

There's a reference to a Conductor (interesting rank ?) in a signal unit being awarded the DCM during the costly failure at Tanga.

This chap was apparently set upon by a swarm of African bees, which being disturbed by the heavy fighting caused widespread panic. However undeterred by the 300+ stings to his head he remained at his post receiving and sending messages. No mention of whether he survived.

Apparently at the time it was suggested Lettow-Vorbeck had specially trained the bees to attack the British/Indian troops !

Has anyone come across this story or anyother interesting gallantry awards ? And if there is any suggested reading on this little known campaign please let me know.

Jim

Jim

There is a mention on pages 86 - 87 of the British Official History, Military Operations East Africa of bees and a footnote mentions Conductor Preston and his DCM during the fighting at Tanga.

"......As a further result of the collapse of the 63rd, the morale of the 98th Infantry (not yet deployed) seems to have been shaken by the sight of stragglers and the sound of machine gun fire. To complete the discomfiture of this unit, its men were then savagely attacked by wild bees. Within a few minutes they were scattered in all directions and were not reassembled for some time."

Footnote reads...." All units, British and German alike , were thus attacked at various times during the day. One m.g. of the 2/Loyal North Lancashire and several German m.g., were temporaily put out of action by bees. The 3/Kashmir Rifles suffered severely,but used their puggarees as protection and remained in action. Conductor Preston, Signals, who continued taking in a message when attacked, and afterwards in hospital had over 300 stings removed from his head, was awarded the DCM."

Mike_H

I've not had time to read it yet, but I recently acquired a book called "The Great War in Africa" by Byron Farwell. It has several chapters on East Africa. Two chapters are entitled "Longido and Tanga", and "Tanga's Aftermath".

I've just had a look through 'Recipients of the Distinguished Conduct Medal 1914-1920' and found the following on Page 207:

Sub-Condr, W. Preston, Ind. Tele. Dept. East Africa. London Gazette 3/6/15.

Lee

Guys,

thanks for the replies-

The Tanga operation in many ways reminds me of the later landings in Gallipoli. Its a shame that many of the lessons were not remembered. Ie pre-warning the Turkish defenders, inadequate recon, insufficient preparation.

If anyone's interested the book I'm reading is "On to Kilimanjaro" by Brian Gardner written in the 1960s. Its not the most detailed, but I like Gardner's style of writing. Plenty of stories similar to that of Conductor Preston's.

Jim

Sub-Conductor W. Preston DCM

Indian Telegraph Department

For gallant conduct on 4th November, 1914, during the attack at Tanga

(East Africa), and for general good work performed under a heavy fire.

THE LONDON GAZETTE, 3 JUNE, 1915.