Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Star medal CP.R M.F.A

MarieD.

Hi. I wonder if someone can help me. I have found a 1914-15 star medal  that belonged to my Great grandfather T. Young. 

How can I find out more about what he did in the war?

Thanks,

Marie

3 minutes ago, MarieD. said:

Hi. I wonder if someone can help me. I have found a 1914-15 star medal  that belonged to my Great grandfather T. Young. 

How can I find out more about what he did in the war?

Thanks,

Marie

Can you tell us the service number from the back of the medal. His first name, DoB, where born may be of help as well.

MarieD

I would suggest he is a Carpenter Merchant Fleet Auxiliary although I have never seen a stop between the CP & R before. Others may know better!

The Carpenter (Chippie) on a Merchant Ship is a Petty Officer and has many responsibilities other than just Carpentry.  As GWF suggests, more info would be helpful in making certain as there are 210 T Young with MN Record Cards and we need to narrow it down a bit!

TH

6 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Can you tell us the service number from the back of the medal. His first name, DoB, where born may be of help as well.

Hi. There isn't a number on the back of the medal.

His name was  Thomas. He was born in 9 June 1877 at Southfleet,  Gravesend  Kent I think!

Many thanks. 

2 hours ago, MerchantOldSalt said:

MarieD

I would suggest he is a Carpenter Merchant Fleet Auxiliary although I have never seen a stop between the CP & R before. Others may know better!

The Carpenter (Chippie) on a Merchant Ship is a Petty Officer and has many responsibilities other than just Carpentry.  As GWF suggests, more info would be helpful in making certain as there are 210 T Young with MN Record Cards and we need to narrow it down a bit!

TH

Hi when i looked again there are no full stops in the CPR.

Thanks for the information! 

Marie

There is a Carpenter Thomas YOUNG, No.900521, on the Mercantile Marine Reserve (MMR) Medal Roll at Kew (ADM 171/133). He claimed and was issued with the 1914-15 Star, Victory and British War Medals.

12 hours ago, horatio2 said:

There is a Carpenter Thomas YOUNG, No.900521, on the Mercantile Marine Reserve (MMR) Medal Roll at Kew (ADM 171/133). He claimed and was issued with the 1914-15 Star, Victory and British War Medals.

Thank you so much for the information.

Marie