Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Searching London Gazette / Military Medals List

Peter Le Duc

Hello,

Can anyone advise if there is a relatively simple way of identifying recipients of the MM from the same unit who appear in the same Gazette supplement?

My reason for asking is that whilst trying to research my Grandfather’s MM (C A Le Duc 93301], I came across some photos of MMs on the internet . By an amazing coincidence one of the medals was awarded to Henry Kavanagh (L/20135) D/36 RFA, which was my Grandfather’s unit. Further research showed that H Kavanagh’s award was Gazetted on the same date as my GF, 23/1/18. This strongly suggests that they were involved in the same action.

Unfortunately the Gazette only states RFA for which there are many awards, necessitating checking each individuals details to find their unit.. I am hoping that by identifying other recipients from the same unit / date I can get closer to discovering the reason for the award.

On a similar matter GF received a bar to his MM (gazetted on 25/6/18). Unfortunately I don’t have the medal card for the bar (did they issue one?) so I can’t be sure which unit he was in at the time of this award (his service record suggests 9th Trench Mortar Battery). Is there any way of finding out which unit he was in at that time (so that I can confirm 9th TM bty)?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks 

Peter

Peter,

I can't help with the unit search, but get four entries for your Grandfather (which I haven't yet looked through myself, so don't know what they cover).

Click here for search results.

Phil

Edit: not a lot of help - London and Edinburgh Gazette duplicate entries for the MM and the bar

Edited by Phil Evans

37 minutes ago, Peter Le Duc said:

On a similar matter GF received a bar to his MM (gazetted on 25/6/18). Unfortunately I don’t have the medal card for the bar (did they issue one?) so I can’t be sure which unit he was in at the time of this award (his service record suggests 9th Trench Mortar Battery). Is there any way of finding out which unit he was in at that time (so that I can confirm 9th TM bty)?

Peter,

The  Military Medal Award Card (image available on TheGenealogist website), carries a note indicating the award of the Bar to the Military Cross.

Mark.

Dear Phil and BFBSM,

Many thanks for your help. I should have made it clear that I do have copies of the Gazette Entries and his MM Card with the annotation for the Bar. The card states he was in D/36 for the MM, but I believe that he was in either 9th DAC or 9th TM bty at the time of the Bar (possibly around Feb 18).  This is what I am trying t confirm in order to see if there were any co-recipients from his unit gazetted on the same date.

regards

peter