Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Garrison Artillery Units near Amiens June 1917

DavidOwen

• Admin

Afternoon all,

Trying to identify which RGA units may have been near to Amiens on 8th June 1917 as I have a postcard sent from a cousin of my grandfather to my great grandmother on that date (My grandfather although enlisted in the RWF was still in England in May of that year - as referred to by Harry in his card). It is a picture postcard showing L'Hotel de Ville in Amiens. Of course he may have purchased it whilst passing through.

It was sent by Gunner Harry Plumb 112794 and his medal card shows only RGA as his service unit. Harry would have gained his service number between 25th July and 6th August 1916 at Nr 2 Depot, Fort Brockhurst, Gosport . 

Any assistance gratefully received as always.

David

The Medal Index cards are only ever a pointer towards the actual Rolls held at the NA and now also digitised on Ancestry. The ref on the MiC shows Roll 164B page 6448. If one looks that up it will tell you that 112794 Plumb served in 226 Sge Bty.

Rgds Paul

• Admin

Now got the relevant war diary and on the 8th June 1917 (the day the postcard was written) the 226 siege battery was positioned at Saint Laurent-Blangy which is on the NE of Arras (43 miles from Amiens - featured on the postcard).

During the 24 hours of the 8th the battery fired a total of 126 rounds ( salvos of 2 - 20 at a time).