Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Field Artillery

abbrover

I am researching a man who died in February 1917. CWGC say he was with 453rd Battery, 48th Brigade. The effects register has him as 459 Battery 48th Brigade. I have got the war diary for 48th Brigade, but he doesn't appear on a nominal roll that is in the diary. #also the batteries in the 48th Brigade are A-D. I have looked at other pages on here and tried to search online and on Long Long Trail and find no trace of 453rd Battery and that 459th Battery was originally part of 118th Brigade and then moved to 59th Brigade. I'm not sure now that I have the correct diary. Any ideas?

Thank you

Hi

It'd be helpful to have his name

Mike

There is obviously an error in transcription somewhere. As you say 453rd Battery does not exist and 459th Battery was in 118th Brigade. I made a note of him (Frank William Birch) some time ago but have not put much effort into finding his correct unit. He died in Leicester so was not overseas with his battery.

It is Frank Birch and he did die in Leicester, but he had served overseas. He went over in November 1915  and I have found him on a casualty list in July 1916, but I don't know if he died of the wounds received at that time, or he continued serving after that date and was wounded again later.