Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mars Offensive, March 28th 1918 - LRB - Oppy

drumnafaughnan

Hi folks, Got a great response on here a few years ago after my enquiries about the Mars Offensive at Oppy on March 28th 1918.

My Uncle  Sgt Joe McPartlin,  8th Lond Regmt Sgt 4207., 5th Lond R 10338, 304011, was wounded and captured  on that date. He was in D Company 1/5th Batt and most probably in the platoon at Bird Post, south of Oppy, which was over run shortly after relieving then previous unit at 3.30am. His battalion were also in Viscount Trench and Earl Road. I intend to visit the site on the 100th anniversary in March and I think I have an idea of the positions of these posts/trenches (partly because of info on here a couple of years ago) Does anyone have advice/details/info on the exact positions of these sites and how to pinpoint them on a visit, or any information which might help me? Would be much appreciated. Thank you!

IMG_5607 (1).jpg

• Admin
14 hours ago, drumnafaughnan said:

My Uncle  Sgt Joe McPartlin,  8th Lond Regmt Sgt 4207., 5th Lond R 10338, 304011, was wounded and captured  on that date. He was in D Company 1/5th Batt and most probably in the platoon at Bird Post, south of Oppy, which was over run shortly after relieving then previous unit at 3.30am. His battalion were also in Viscount Trench and Earl Road. I intend to visit the site on the 100th anniversary in March and I think I have an idea of the positions of these posts/trenches (partly because of info on here a couple of years ago) Does anyone have advice/details/info on the exact positions of these sites and how to pinpoint them on a visit, or any information which might help me? Would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Bird Post is shown on this map dated 6 March 1918 in the NLS Collection

Navigate from the link below which should take you directly to the Maputo the home page, Oppy is on map 51bNW2 C13.  On the home page you will find instructions of how to do an overlay of Google Maps on the original.  If you log that on a phone should take you exactly there when you visit (if it's not an industrial estate ;-))

http://maps.nls.uk//view/101465059

Ken 

EDIT I see the link opens in the big map if you don't know how to read a trench map have a look at the LLT http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/battlefields/how-to-read-a-british-trench-map/

I've added a screenshot with the square 18d highlighted in red which should help you find your way around the big map

Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 14.47.07.png

Edited by kenf48

• Admin

and for completeness here it is at about 30% overlay and it's not an industrial estate! Chopped off Viscount Street  you can just make out the 'NT"

over to you! Ken

Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 14.58.15.png

Edited by kenf48

Below is a 2008 Arras map marked up to show the front lines and Bird Post.

The National Archives have a Maroeuil 51bNW Trench Map  corrected on 28/3/18 to show the lines and posts. The photographed it for me under WO95/2935.

See you over there.

Bob

PS Have you seen my post "Mars Offensive 28th March 1918"

Oppy.JPG.a607caa70eb485e3f8603a940de49870.JPG

By coincidence I just happened to take a set of photos from roughly the location of Bird Post looking north towards the wood and the village. For a change I took the photos quickly and didn't move so the resulting panorama looks half decent when you stitch them together. The dark line on the left horizon is the Vimy Ridge. I hope this is of some assistance, good luck with your visit.

Pete.

5a6f88dc49cb2_OppyWoodpanoramic.jpg.60943ce16ca7e69cbfb895e722eaf916.jpg

• Admin
1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

By coincidence I just happened to take a set of photos from roughly the location of Bird Post looking north towards the wood and the village. For a change I took the photos quickly and didn't move so the resulting panorama looks half decent when you stitch them together. 

You can’t see the join 😃

Ken

12 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

You can’t see the join 😃

Ken

The key to that is taking the pictures quickly and not moving the short fat hairy legs. If you want to see what I can achieve in terms of panoramic mediocrity when I put my mind to it check out post 43.....

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for this information. My next task is to trace the lead up to the final battle (for Joe) on the 28th March and see if I can identify a few spots. Did anyone ever locate "Roundhay Camp"? 

All your help is much appreciated.