Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trip to Ypres

shinglma

Hi

I'm planning a trip to the Salient in the spring and my friends have suggested Easter weekend.

Would there be any implications of going Easter weekend. Whilst much of our time will be spent on the battlefields, I don't want to arrive and discover all bars/restaurants closed!

Could anyone advise please

Mike S

They shouldn't be closed, but I would hurry up and book your accommodation as it gets very busy anywhere on the battlefields that weekend and a billet may be hard to find.

Paul

Thanks for the reply - I half expect there will be problems getting booked in to our usual hotel in Ypres at this late notice.

Regards

Mike S

Good time to go the Spring weather can be ok but be prepared for rain, and the fields and trees are clear giving good views. Bars and restaurantshould be open. What sort of accomodation are you looking for, hotel or smaller b&b etc?

We normally stay at the Ariane - though I suspect this will be booked up by now. I have e-mailed them to check availability. If not available we will weigh up whether to move the dates or stay somewhere else.

It doesn't have to be Easter - it would just save trying to co-ordinate five people getting time off at the same time!

Regards

Mike S

As per the site, the new Novotel is very clean bright efficient and totally characterless but a very acceptable base if that is not a problem. Very handy for the Main square and the Gate. Only major problem for Brits, they do a good breakfast , provide a range of good teabags to go with it BUT NO BOILING WATER. Even now some still dont appraciate the significance of the British morning cuppa!! SG

Only major problem for Brits, they do a good breakfast , provide a range of good teabags to go with it BUT NO BOILING WATER. Even now some still dont appraciate the significance of the British morning cuppa!! SG

Strange - on more than 20 stays there last year I never failed to find any. The staff normally get you a some if you ask... a great hotel with friendly staff, comfy rooms and ideally situated as stated. Worth checking out their on-line deals, especially for weekends, as the room prices can be quite high.

a great hotel with friendly staff, comfy rooms and ideally situated as stated.

Hello Paul

Isn't the parking situationa bit fraught?

One of the advantages of the hotel is that the bar directly next door (Engels) is very friendly. :D

Andy

You can normally park around the nearby church okay, and there is a huge underground carpark attached to the hotel with lift access to all floors. It is much more difficult with a coach, to be honest: my poor drivers often have to park at the station and walk half-way back across town.

As for the other place, don't know what you mean... :ph34r:

Thanks to all for your replies and suggestions.

I'm glad to say I have got the hotel booked and I'm looking forward to Easter on the salient.

Not tried the Engels - one for the list!

Mike

I'll be at Essex Villa that weekend. Maybe we can look out for each other?

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON :ph34r:

a

One of the advantages of the hotel is that the bar directly next door (Engels) is very friendly. :D

Andy

They don't play J'taime on the juke box do they? :blink:

I think I happened upon a similar joint in Tournai once.

Cheers,

Ste

Not tried the Engels - one for the list!

Hello Mike

Just a piece of advice.......look before you leap :D

Andy

We did think of taking our teabags next door, we thought that might set them boiling!! SG

Chaps

the penny has just dropped! I now know exactly the establishment you are referring to.

Mike :lol:

Engels must be an extraordinary establishment if whatever services it offers can cost £500 per half hour ! I am dealing with a solicitor at the moment who only charges £180 an hour ( yes that's for legal advice only )