Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Yorkshire Hussars

midge15

Looking for information on the 1st battalion. Believe I may have had a relative served in this theatre. Name of George Porteus. Regimental number may have been 23712. That's all I have . Can anyone point me in a direction that would help. Cannot find more than a brief entry in Ancestry records.

Thanks in advance.

The SWB index card shows a #330577 George Porteus in the Yorkshire Hussars.

The card shows that George enlisted 2/2/15 and was discharged 22/1/19 under para 392 xxva of the Kings Regs. The SWB list shows that he never served overseas.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Hi Craig - It seems that this regiment never went anywhere near India - I checked with the long long trail and their regimental history . So , I wonder if the service number is nonsense too as I did see the entry you mentioned. This is going to be a hard one

Thanks for the input.

He was born around 1880 in Escrick, East Riding of Yorkshire and died according to the record I have on 3/9/1915.

Edited by midge15
Additional data.

1 minute ago, midge15 said:

Hi Craig - It seems that this regiment never went anywhere near India - I checked with the long long trail and their regimental history . So , I wonder if the service number is nonsense too as I did see the entry you mentioned. This is going to be a hard one

Thanks for the input.

Barry

Do you have anything else ? Is it 'family lore' as to his service ? Where did the number etc come from ?

Craig

From Ancestry record only and some reference I cannot access as I don't have the international subscription. I had never heard of this record till Ancestry posted it.

Rank of sergeant apparently.

Edited by midge15
additional data

image.png.ece5a3ba8943f373af3588885e7f61e2.png

Hello

This is your relative, not Yorkshire Hussars, its 1st Bn yorkshire 'Regiment'.

This is his entry on the Soldiers effects.

He is Buried in Rawalpindi War Cemetery 3. C. 10.

Hope this helps

Chris

39 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

image.png.ece5a3ba8943f373af3588885e7f61e2.png

Hello

This is your relative, not Yorkshire Hussars, its 1st Bn yorkshire 'Regiment'.

This is his entry on the Soldiers effects.

He is Buried in Rawalpindi War Cemetery 3. C. 10.

Hope this helps

Chris

The £2 gratuity which is mentioned as being paid is the service gratuity.

The pencilled in reference to the war gratuity not being admissible is very interesting. The reference to 8 days service is with respect to having less than 6 months qualifying 'home' service (in the absence of any overseas service). This would suggest that he had enlisted in India and had never left the shores whilst in service due to him dying after 8 days.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Hello Chris - firstly a big thank you . This clarifies the issue. It was the George Porteus (note the spelling change) born in Escrick, East Yorkshire who served in Rawalpindi. I have found another reference to a different G Porteous who was a Chelsea pensioner I believe( I don't have access to fold 3 website) and it was he who was in the other regiment I quoted. It seems that my ancestor was married too and had children and grandchildren right upto 2004 or thereabouts.

The document you have posted is great news. Thank you again.

Regards

Barry

Thank you too Craig for the footnote. Poor bloke never saw service really. Would be interesting to know what he died from. Possibilities are massive!

Cheers

Barry

Pleasure Barry.

Sometimes the Soldiers effects record says how they died, not in this case though.

Just a question for other members, would this chap have been entitled to the BWM?

Chris

57 minutes ago, Dragoon said:

Pleasure Barry.

Sometimes the Soldiers effects record says how they died, not in this case though.

Just a question for other members, would this chap have been entitled to the BWM?

Chris

The BWM needed a man to leave his 'native shores' for service and/or serve in theatre of war so as he enlisted and died after 8 days I'm not sure he was eligible for it.

Craig

2 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

The BWM needed a man to leave his 'native shores' for service and/or serve in theatre of war so as he enlisted and died after 8 days I'm not sure he was eligible for it.

Craig

Thanks Craig, makes sense

Chris