Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ships arriving in a specific harbor at a given day?

Felix C

Is there a register for ship arrivals as in the title? Say Plymouth August 31, 1917. Is there a register?  

I see the Admiralty releases summaries of how many ships arrived/departed English ports and then also by over/under 1600tons.

Edited by Felix C

Same for the USA. wondering if that is an ADM or Lloyd's register. I am thinking of their Overseas Shipping Intelligence reports. I  think they are weekly.

Edited by Felix C

Felix

Is it military or requisitioned/mercantile shipping, and do you have date(s) and name(s) ?

I may be able to plonk some link in front of you with more info.

Many, many Thanks. 

Plymouth August 31, 1917

Four masted schooner, medium sized, estimated 750tons

Civilian 

defensively armed

Maybe Sept 1, 1917 as well although I doubt it as it was only 50nm away from Plymouth when encountering a submarine.

I see there is also a Lloyd's Confidential Daily List. I wonder what the difference is between the two. 

Not much help as there is no name ! It occurs to me that there were Q-ship schooners around that time off the Western Approaches, but not able to bring up data on these, or any other types of that size.

Thanks for trying. I researched them first just in case. According to Ritchie Carson's list in his book  there were no four masted Q.ships. At least three 3-masted schooners operated in the Western Approaches at this time. I am inclined to think it was not a Q.ship as it was visibly defensive armed. 

Can I ask what source you checked? I am in contact with someone who visits Greenwich MM and was going to look at Lloyd's List of arrivals. 

Edited by Felix C

I have a few places I look in the Discovery database at Kew, gleaned over a fair few years.

Understood thanks. Appreciate.

Ironically August 31, 1917 German submarine sightings telegrams abstract for the region is missing from the volume. 

ADM 131/112 Plymouth Station Reports of enemy submarines.

Oh well, when it rains it pours. 

Edited by Felix C

• 3 months later...

Just to follow up on this thread. Wish to state the information is found in Lloyd's Oversea(s) Shipping Intelligence, 1917-1918.  Also it is updated daily. Here is an example

1105.pdf

Edited by Felix C

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/05/2018 at 11:54, Felix C said:

Just to follow up on this thread. Wish to state the information is found in Lloyd's Oversea(s) Shipping Intelligence, 1917-1918.  Also it is updated daily. Here is an example

1105.pdf

Can I ask where you found the Lloyd's Oversea(s) Shipping Intelligence, 1917-1918?  I have an interest in trying to find the names of any Japanese ships damaged (by fire or by other means resulting in fire) between July 1916 and August 1917 that made it into in Bombay Harbour.

Peter

Sure. Microfilm rolls from Greenwich Maritime Museum. I may have for India. Allow me to have a look-see.