Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

picture and help

eskimo

Hi Pals,

Help please, as anyone a picture of a genuine xmas box issued to soldiers in xmas 1914, i have seen 2 for sale one at £35, and one at £26, but i am not sure if they are genuine or copies, they are brass about 4inch, by 3inch. if genuine are the prices good?

Regards Eskimo.

Average price for a decent condition empty tin these days is around £18 - £30. There are some modern copies around but these are easily distinguished from the originals. Authentic 1914 tins are still so plentiful there is no reason to buy a copy.

Type 'Mary Tin' into the forum search and you will find many previous descussions/links etc.

Just invented a new word: punge, wonder what it means?

Let's stick to plunge.... :P

Michael

I have one spare at the moment and it has its original 1914 Xmas card - offers?

Ian

Would take you up on your offer - but I got one matching your description yesterday from a Clevedon antiques shop in very nice condition. Price - £23.40. Looks good with the Mary pencil I got years ago :)

It must mean the opposite of expunge. 

Very pungent....Tom.....I had to look this one up in the dictionary! :lol:

Cheers,

Michael

Just invented a new word: punge, wonder what it means?

I have it on good authority that "punge" is the seasonal version of "plunge", often used in Kent at this time of year. Well, it is Noel after all! :lol:

Gary

Hi Pals,

Thanks for the advice..

I will now expunge myself of this pungent thread and scrabble off without a photo!!!

Regard h.n.y to all

Eskimo.

I will now expunge myself of this pungent thread and scrabble off without a photo!!!

Eskimo,

Did you do a search as I suggested in my first reply?! This will give you endless info and links to Princess Mary tins including pictures.

Here is the search for you. ;)

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?act=S...ghlite=mary+tin

The 5th from the bottom is good for starters.

Hi Giles

Sorry i did'nt react to your advice i will now...

Cheers Eskimo..

Put "mary tin" into the search box on eBay. There are nearly 20 going on there at time of writing, and all have photos, a few of them almost microscopically good.

Regards,

MikB

Saw a Lovely one in Battlesbridge last week, fully intact bar 2 ciggies gone from the packet. He wanted a few quid for it mind.

Slightly off topic, he also had a Queen Victoria Boer War Chocolate tin...with the original Frys chocolate still inside!

Paul Hinckley's website Old Contemptible.com used to have an excellent section all about these tins. He identified six different varieties and explained their history, manufacture, contents and issue, but the links within the site now appear defunct. I had saved the web page and will try and attach it here in a separate post. There was also a table categorising the differences.

Regards

Steve

Here is the old web page

And finally the identification table.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info, pity about the pics but interesting all the same..

Regards Eskimo :D

Eskimo,

I still have the large size bitmap images of all 6 tins, but at approx 770 KB each they are too big to post here. I could convert them to jpegs, if anyone was interested, but that would take some time. Would the gallery be a more suitable depository for them perhaps?

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your post,

From my point of view i've now managed to see quite a few in the flesh so to speak, but by all means post in the gallery if you wish, others may well be interested.

Regards Eskimo :)