Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Family trip to Bruges and Ypres

Lee P

We are going to Bruges in March for a few days. The plan is to visit Ypres for at least a day whilst there.

Can anyone suggest some places that should not be missed whilst out there.

I am driving so we are fairly flexible on where to visit.

We are catching the ferry back from Dunkirk so plan to spend some time in Dunkirk the day we return so again any places not to miss would be helpful

Thanks in advance.

Lee

There COULD be a big list ! I will restrict my suggestions to :

1) In Flanders Fields Museum in the Cloth Hall on the Grote Markt

http://www.inflandersfields.be/en

2) The daily, 8 pm, Last Post ceremony at the Menin Gate.

A walk around the ramparts and a visit to the Ramparts Cemetery by Lille Gate

I agree with all of the above. If it's a wet day, the museum in Zonnebeke is well worth a couple of hours. And if it's dried up when you finish there you are within easy reach of Tyne Cot and Passchendaele.

I would definitely agree with all the above and add that the Passchendaele Museum at Zonnebeke is definitely worth a visit if you haven't been before. Enough to keep a family of all ages occupied and interested.

I have done the day trip Brugge - Ypres area a few times now, sometimes repeating a visit, sometimes picking up a new family connection. Always more to see!

Going in the other direction there is the new-ish museum at Nieuwpoort on the coast (I visited as my grandfather was there in mid 1917). Not a big museum but interesting. It is under the statue to Albert 1 which is a sight on it's own (you can walk round the top, great views) and opposite the British Memorial to the Missing. http://www.nieuwpoort.be/nieuwpoort/view/en/nieuwpoort/the_great_war

Margaret

6 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I agree with all of the above. If it's a wet day, the museum in Zonnebeke is well worth a couple of hours. And if it's dried up when you finish there you are within easy reach of Tyne Cot and Passchendaele.

Ooops!  You posted just ahead of me about Zonnebeke, didn't see until I posted mine.

Edited by Margosh

• 3 weeks later...

TocH in Poperinge is not to be missed.  A great little museum as you enter then move through to the house itself (not forgetting the garden either).  We spent a good part of the day in there looking at everything and taking it all in.  Thoroughly recommended.

Lee

It is worth looking through the Battlefield Touring section of the forum because this question has been asked plenty of times before.

For what it is worth, here is my opinion. if you genuinely only have one day then the best single museum is the Passchendaele Museum at Zonnebeke. Second choice - the little Hooge Museum is good, and the cafe and loos are excellent. Next door is Hooge Chateau Hotel, with trenches and shell craters that you can walk around - just put a Euro each in the honesty-box. If you have teenage children then Sanctuary Wood Museum is good - some actual trenches that are still there.

Frankly, give the In Flanders Field Museum a miss unless you have the luxury of several days - it is interesting but nothing special these days IMHO. Tyne Cot is a must (50 cent coin to use good loos), and a walk along the Ieper Ramparts and Ramparts Cemetery is worthwhile. Heresy on this forum, but I am no longer a fan of the Last Post - you need to be there a full hour early (90 mins early is better if you are not tall) to get a good place under the gate, and if you are on a tight schedule this can be a waste of time.

William

Edited by WilliamRev

I agree with all of William's comments. Regarding the Last Post, there is really no need to "see" anything. All you will see is people laying wreaths. Better to stand to the east of the Menin Gate, away from the crowd. You may not see much, but you can still hear the bugles and observe the silence, which is surely what matters.  If you really must see it, one option is to apply to the Last Post Association to take part in the service and lay a wreath. You will  then be in a reserved area (max 2 people per party).

Lee

Thought I could help with some sites for you to visit in Dunkirk on your return. We had a pass from the ferry

company last year which gave us access to 2 museums, and a walking tour to the locations used in making

the film Dunkirk.Admittedly these are all WW2 sites. However, when I looked up the leaflet , one museum

doesn't open till 1st April, and the other early May!

But if it is low tide when you are there you may be able to see the shipwrecks along the coast at Zuydcoote

Regards

Geoff

On 2/15/2018 at 13:46, Pighills said:

TocH in Poperinge is not to be missed.  A great little museum as you enter then move through to the house itself (not forgetting the garden either).  We spent a good part of the day in there looking at everything and taking it all in.  Thoroughly recommended.

Bear in mind it is closed on Mondays.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I will be planning our visit over the next week or so as I like to know where I am going to go and can share the route with the rest if the family prior to going. I am hoping to go to some of the places my great grandad was at on the route. Thanks again, Lee