Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Machine Gun Corps

Phill Jones

I have a soldier serving at the time of his death with 38th Coy MGC Infantry he was killed 28/10/18 , i m trying to locate a war diary for this unit can anyone assist me please , thank you 

Phil,

What's the name of the soldier - there was no 38th Company MGC at that point as they had all been consolidated into Battalions during the early months of 1918.

Cheers,

Peter

4 minutes ago, PRC said:

Phil,

What's the name of the soldier - there was no 38th Company MGC at that point as they had all been consolidated into Battalions during the early months of 1918.

Cheers,

Peter

I bet it's another one of the CWGC 'errors'.

Hi Peter , 

My man is John Evans 65356 , i found a War Diary to the 38th Battalion but assumed this was the wrong War Diary ? thanks 

There's a very interesting document on Find My Past - some sort of burial return that I've not seen before, https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f007285098%2f01070&parentid=gbm%2fwo363-4%2fsupp%2f52475

It has him as 38th Bn, Welsh Regiment, just to confuse things for those not in the know (all of the men on the page are MGC)

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

9 minutes ago, Phill Jones said:

Hi Peter , 

My man is John Evans 65356 , i found a War Diary to the 38th Battalion but assumed this was the wrong War Diary ? thanks 

Your man is buried in Forest Communal Cemetery.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/336285/evans,-/

The historical details for that Cemetery on the CWGC site are:-

There are now over 100, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, a small number are unidentified. All fell in October and November 1918, in the clearing of Forest and the surrounding country. They were buried by the 17th, 33rd and 38th (Welsh) Divisions.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/35409/forest-communal-cemetery/

Given that the Battalions were numbered for the Division they served with, it looks very likely that John Evans was actually serving with the 38th Battalion.

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/38th-welsh-division/

38th Machine Gun Company were attached to 38 Brigade in the 13th (Western) Division and would therefore have become A, B, C. or D Company in the new 13th Battalion.

Just seen Craig's note, so John Evans may even have served with the Machine Gun detachment in his original Infantry Battalion before they were stripped out to form the new Machine Gun Companys of the new Machine Gun Corps in 1916.

Cheers,

Peter

He was # 35923 Welsh Regiment prior to being renumbered. I wonder if he was 20th Bn originally for training.

#35929 was allocated 26 July 1916 - 20th Bn
#35927 was allocated 30 June 1916 - 20th Bn
#35925 was allocated 29 June 1916 - 20th Bn

Craig

Thank you both , very helpful , i will now go to the 38th Batt MGC War Diary for an insight 

Phill

• Admin

He did not go on active service with the Welsh Regiment but was posted to Clipstone and the MGC towards the end of October 1916.

Originally he would have been posted to one of the Brigade MG Companies that became part of 38th Battalion.

Possibly 176 Company which would become D Company in the 38th Bn in March 1918.

Ken 

Ken , thank you for the extra bit of gen , it all helps bw Phill