Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Courses of Instruction - Working Days

Gareth Davies

The length of courses of instruction are stated in terms of working days.  How many working days were there in the BEF's week in 1917; 5, 6 or 7?  

Edited by Gareth Davies

It seems that there were 6 working days in the week at the Mechanical Maintenance and Driving School.  I assume that this was the same at the Gunnery School.

Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 14.02.09.png

Edited by Gareth Davies

Hi Gareth, I'm sorry that none of us can answer your questions, so you're reduced to answering them yourself!

It reminds me of what someone said when asked why they talked to themselves: it's the only way I can get a sensible conversation.

Keep 'em coming,

John

No idea. If you want to know please start a new thread.

11 minutes ago, johntaylor said:

Hi Gareth, I'm sorry that none of us can answer your questions, so you're reduced to answering them yourself!

It reminds me of what someone said when asked why they talked to themselves: it's the only way I can get a sensible conversation.

Keep 'em coming,

John

Thanks for the encouragement John.  I am not feeling like someone who has any sense, certainly not regarding Heavy Branch/Tank Corps training in 1917.  

19 hours ago, johnboy said:

if infantrymen got 1 shilling a day how much did they get a week?

Seven shillings, if you are referring only to regimental (basic) pay of a private. They were also eligible for proficiency pay of 3d or 6d a day, also for a seven-day week. Other forms of additional pay such as working pay (e.g. helping the RE dig trenches for cables) were paid only on the days the work was actually done. "Pay" isn't a simple topic!

Ron

Harking back to your own reply, I suspect there must be training plans from the multitudinous Schools and Courses organised throughout the war; would any of those have an answer? They may well outline daily/weekly training plans.

On the bright side, however long the working day, the BEF were only warriors for that long. Rest of the time they were in the bar.

In the very remote chance you don't already have them, the 6th Brigade Tanks Corps Training Centre, Training Schedules are available online via TNA. Some cover 1917. 

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/h/C4553269

The Schedules for the various courses running for more than one week show weekly schedules of 6 days each. I would conclude the 'working week' was 6 days. 

Edit. Incidentally in most (all?) of the Battalion diaries that I have long run transcriptions for, when out of the line and retraining (MGs, Bombing, etc) many had six day scedules. Sunday was almost always given to a Church Parade (Divine Service) and a CO's inspection of the Camp and little else. Officers tended to have less respite in these periods having to attend lectures on Sundays occasionally. As a general rule the schedules at Battalion and Brigade level seem to largely operate on a 6 working day schedule. 

Tank Training Syllabus.JPG

Edited by Guest

Thank you Martin.  I did indeed have the files but hadn't read them in any detail for some time.  

3 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

Seven shillings, if you are referring only to regimental (basic) pay of a private. They were also eligible for proficiency pay of 3d or 6d a day, also for a seven-day week. Other forms of additional pay such as working pay (e.g. helping the RE dig trenches for cables) were paid only on the days the work was actually done. "Pay" isn't a simple topic!

Ron

are you saying basic[privates]  infantrymen working week was 7 days? 

21 minutes ago, johnboy said:

are you saying basic[privates]  infantrymen working week was 7 days? 

I think this would benefit from a thread of its own. 

GD-  My understanding from relatives years ago, who were instructors, is that a "course" is 6 working days, almost invariably Mon-Sat. Further, that - in common with the changes in the working week in civvy street, Day 6 was usually a bit light, particularly in the afternoon. 

What may be of interest to raise here is what constituted a "Short Course" as opposed to a "Course"- Again, my relatives were of the opinion that a "Short Course" was half the length of the  "Course"- that is, 3 full working days.

Hi

There was all sorts of training of course and the 'working week' appears to be a flexible arrangement.  For example No. 6 Sqn. RAF training with divisions of the Cavalry Corps for week ending 10th August 1918:

WW1aeroplanecallID022.jpg.da6ef5e62be2a458f334e0ef712b992c.jpg

Winter training for the RFC varied, examples of evening lectures for scout (fighter) units of No. 13 Wing, RFC in January 1918:

WW1aeroplanecallID020.jpg.9f8360de66518d1bd8a7b8904d290143.jpg

The 6th January was a Sunday.  Some lectures are very related to the unit, others like Baker-Carr's lecture about Tanks (on 9th that four of the squadrons personnel could attend at No. 56 Sqn's location) appear to of less direct use but of military interest.  Then there is the 'Scientific Research in Agriculture'!  Quite a lot of other 'training' was undertaken during the winter as there was generally less flying.

Mike

Hi

Example of the 'Working Week' for Infantry Officers attending a course of one weeks duration at the 'Artillery & Infantry Co-operation School' at Hursley Park, Winchester (probably between 1st April and 31 May 1918) shows that Saturday was for arrival and departure and Wednesday appears to be a day off.  Sunday was a working day but included Church parade.

WW1infofftrgwin001.jpg.82e230e4e9934eb2ccc1fd8c3f855157.jpg

WW1infofftrgwin002.jpg.3311ac0997353714fb11a9b7dc554bda.jpg

WW1infofftrgwin003.jpg.ae3ab4b9707852025d08b669d94ab36b.jpg

Similar courses to this had been undertaken in France during the winter of 1917/18, No. 6 Sqn. RFC being involved in travelling around the BEF Armies so Brigade, Battalion and Battery Commanders plus Staff Officers could attend them.  A pamphlet, SS 205 'Notes on Observation from Aeroplanes' covered much of the information that was 'taught' on these courses.  This was published in February 1918 and issued down to Battalions, Batteries and Regiments.  An extract from the No. 6 Sqn. history is below.

Mike

WW1infofftrgwin005.jpg.a62786c3293f31ad2e73e1d68a8c6acb.jpg 

Thanks Mike.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎28‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:34, Gareth Davies said:

The length of courses of instruction are stated in terms of working days.  How many working days were there in the BEF's week in 1917; 5, 6 or 7?  

Hi

The attached may be of interest from SS 152 'Instructions for the Training of the British Armies in France (Provisional)' of June, 1917.

Mike

WW1ss152trg002.jpg.eab83a77f3766bcedd071708d1b1e29e.jpg

WW1ss152trg003.jpg.aefb78de0e7687a19f4b758af658a08e.jpg