Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gite in Mesnil Martinsart

EAST YORKSHIRE

Hi, just wondering if anyone can tell me the exact location of the Gite which sleeps 6 is in Mesnil Martinsart, have booked it for August and have looked on Google earth and cannot find it anywhere on map!  address is : 4 Rue De chateau but buggered if I can find it,  thanks,  Ian.

There is a number 4 on the barn just up from the church (same side of the road) on Rue du Chateau/D174 but it looks as though there is also a residential building behind it. Could that be it? Will they send you more info before the date? 

Edited by Margosh

Thanks for that Margosh, I like to set my stall out and check everything before I go and found it strange I could not find the property with the wonder of Google!  best Wishes, Ian.

7 hours ago, EAST YORKSHIRE said:

Thanks for that Margosh, I like to set my stall out and check everything before I go and found it strange I could not find the property with the wonder of Google!  best Wishes, Ian.

A man after my own heart (maybe a Yorkshire thing?!). No idea how I managed to get anywhere before Google View!

I spotted your post because my Grandfather was in that area during 1916, based at Bouzincourt. His RE Unit worked on Northumberland Ave at Martinsart as well as a few days up towards Thiepval Woods. He was wounded early April 1916 whilst in the area and I have his Furlough Pass from the War Hospital at the end of June so he wasn't over there in early July.

We visited the area briefly last summer. 

Margaret

PS will you be visiting the tunnels under the church at Bouzincourt? On my 'to do' list.

1/ is this the one : https://www.gites-de-france.com/location-vacances-Mesnil-martinsart-Gite-Gite-De-Mesnil-martinsart-80G200213.html ?     here : https://www.somme-tourisme.com/gite-de-mesnil-martinsart/mesnil-martinsart/hlopic0800200213 it is the same, but has another address, I guess it is the address of the owner (perhaps you have to go there first to meet him/her & get the keys)

2/ there are +/- 233 people leaving there, you'll certainly find a soul to ask when you arrive !

3/ if I can be of further help, do feel free to ask (what one wouldn't do for East Yorkshire ;)

kind regards from the Somme, martine

PS - no hurry, you have time until August !

Edited by mva

Thanks Margaret, I am over in May when I do my regular field walking for a week, then in August for a week to coincide with 100 years passing of my great grandads death, Walk the fields in day and remember with a nice meal in Auberge on night!!. I am not planning to do the Bouzincourt tunnels as I prefer things above ground.  Martine-The different address might be the reason I cannot spot the gite, thanks for the help on that Martine, best wishes to you both  Ian.

Hello again, Ian

There are mistakes in Google maps. Do trust MICHELIN !

by the way, if you don't mind answering : from whom did you book ?

Here are the 2 addresses :

MESNIL.jpg.28ff27d615c1d77877e2f503798cb91e.jpg

kind regards from the Somme, martine

Edited by mva