Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

15th Battalion Tank Corps - Major E L Ibbotson MC DCM

Great Uncle Ted

I am trying to identify the company of 15 Bn, Tank Corps in which 304647 Pte William Alfred Flack served.  His company commander is shown as Maj Ibbotson (who fined him two days' pay for having a dirty revolver on parade); does any 15 Bn expert know which company Maj Ibbotson commanded? 

Lt, then Capt, and later A/Maj E L Ibbotson MC DCM is mentioned a few times in the Bn history.  I can see that he was a Sect Comd in A Coy in Sep 18 but I can't see which Coy he commanded.  

Edit: I have names for all the Coy Comds and he is not one of them (which of course may well mean that my list is wrong).

Edited by Gareth Davies

I can't find him as a company commander either.

What was the date of the award? could it have been after the Armistice?

Edited by delta

His MC citation appears in LG 31583/p 12303 dated 4 Oct 19 and was awarded to him as a lieutenant section commander at the Battle of Amiens.  He was clearly a company commander by 29 Oct 18 when he weighed off Pte Flack. 

Have just checked the 15th Bn War History Roll of Officers; he is shown as an acting major for A Coy but no date given.

Not only a company commander but also A Company commander....with apologies!  Very many thanks for your help.

I have had a look at the service record of Flack and found the reference to the dirty revolver on 29/10/18. This was witnessed by Captain Hancock and signed off by Captain Ibbotson. I believe that Ibbotson was promoted to Acting Major some time after that date. The other sheet where Ibbotson has signed as Major, Company OIC was probably dated in 1919 in connection with certification of the Regimental Conduct Sheets for Flack's dispersal papers. Up to at least the end of 1918, Major D C Allen was OIC "A" Company.

There is another conduct sheet entry witnessed by a Lieutenant (later captain, see above) Hancock on 26/3/18. Lieutenant Hancock was the tank commander of "Overland", "O"20, in Ibbotson's section on both the 8 and 9 August 1918.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Very many thanks David, it's really useful to note that Flack might have been one of the crew of Overland at Amiens; I shall enjoy tracing her actions at the time  I like the 'bunking off' Hotchkiss training offences on 26 March as they identify Flack as a machine gunner.  Do you happen to know which section Ibbotson commanded as it would be nice to tie Flack down to a section within A Coy?

As an aside, Flack's father - Walter Ernest - was one of the wounded amongst 11 Suffolk's 527 casualties on 1 July 1916.

If this is the same man he was commissioned 1916 from Royal Engineers. This medal card notes his 14-15 star to Royal Engineers and his  BWM/VM to Tank Corps officers roll. His MIC has him as Major 4th Tank Battalion. Newspaper article from August 1916.

ibbotson.jpg

His medals are split but most of the group are known to exist.

Edited by ghchurcher
Typo

Forum,

I current own some of the Medals to Major E L Ibbotson.

This Group started its life with me as a single 1914-15 Star purchased around 1991/2 for the grand sum of £5, named to 41987 Sjt E Ibbotson RE. This was a random purchase as I had money burning a hole in my pocket and nothing else to spend it on. The medal was put away unresearched.

Fast Forward to 2005 and I see a DCM to a Sgt E Ibbotson on ebay...I have an Ibbotson I remembered so upon checking saw that it was the same chap and promptly purchased the DCM which had a Buy it Now option. I conceded at that point that I needed to download his MIC and found that Sgt Ibbotson RE later Major Ibbotson Tank Corps was also entitled to an MC and was MID in 1915, the DCM being a Gallipoli award, MC France August 1918 with the Tank Corps.

2014 and I added unnamed MC and that I thought that was that.

However in this is the group that keeps giving and in 2015 the QSA awarded to 8226 Corp E Ibbotson RE has now been added to the group. I have to say the QSA makes the group for me, even if it is still broken. South African Service confirmed on his papers and everything checks out to being the same chap. I was aware of SA service but never expected to see the medal. 

Now if I can just secure this KSA, Pair and I believe a TFEM then i'd be happy chap. 

Ibbotson%20reunited.jpg

Ibbotson.jpg

Edited by plattyuk

Great to see the pictures of him. Definitely the same man!

There was another newspaper article, which proved too poor quality to post, so I just copied the text best I could.

Sheffield Daily Telegraph 3/8/1916.

Honours for Sheffield Sergeant Major.

Sergeant Major E. L. Ibbotson of the Royal Engineers of 63 Barber Road Sheffield, has been granted a commission as 2nd Lieutenant. He has a fine record to his credit. He went out with the Royal Engineers to the Boer War and has the medals for that campaign. He was mentioned in dispatches and for meritorious conduct was ---------- in the non commissioned ranks. At the outbreak of the present war he volunteered for the army and was accepted. He was ------- the Distinguished Conduct Medal for gallant service and has now been given a commission. He is a popular officer and the news of his promotion will be received with satisfaction by his comrades at home and abroad.

The WW1 photo of him probably dates from early in 1916 as he is still in other ranks uniform, but wearing ribbons - probably for South Africa and the possibly the  DCM. The DCM citation was posted on 11/3/1916 for  his actions 7th - 12th August 1915 at Sulva Bay  when he was Sergeant with 71st Field Coy R.E. so probably be able to get some background from the war diary. On his medal roll notes he was WOII and then  temporary commission 4/2/16 (in the Royal Engineers). Also MiD from L.G. 28/1/1916 page 1198.

Be worth getting a look at his record.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1111166

32 minutes ago, david murdoch said:

worth getting a look at his record.

David i'll add him to my list - which is growing. I'm overdue a visit to TNA - but not likely before. Easter.

David,

Thank you for the additional information, I have Ibbotson's papers somewhere I will need to dig them out.

Another photo before setting out for South Africa.

Mark 

Ibbotson photo 3.jpg

Ibbotson photo 2.jpg