Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

General Reserve of Officers

Perth Digger

I have worked out what an officer in the Special Reserve of Officers did and how he got there, but I am a bit confused about the category of Reserve of Officers, especially the General Reserve of Officers. I have a man who was commissioned into the General Reserve of Officers in 1913 direct from a university OTC. He was a schoolmaster. Did he have periods of annual training and if so, would he be attached to a particular regiment? When war broke out, he was posted to 1st Cheshires.

Thanks

Mike

Edited by Perth Digger
typo

In 1912 the training was non-existent, unless called up.
http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/lords/1912/may/13/special-reserve-officers

If he finds that he is not able to do so owing to the calls upon his time made by the preliminary and annual training, he is approached with a view of ascertaining whether he is willing to accept a commission in the General Reserve. These commissions carry no obligation for annual training, and simply mean that he registers his name as liable to be called out on emergency, when he will form part of the officers' cadre of the Special Reserve units. While he is attached to these during mobilisation he will take up the training again which he dropped on leaving his school or University. Although there has not been intermediate training, that class of officer is a great deal better than the class of officer who was found useful in the South African War.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Craig

My apologies for not responding earlier, to thank you for this explanation. I'm grateful.

Mike

12 minutes ago, Perth Digger said:

Craig

My apologies for not responding earlier, to thank you for this explanation. I'm grateful.

Mike

No worries, hopefully it's useful.

Craig