Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gnr Henry Haselden (218040), RGA - Possibly 230 Siege Battery?

Buffnut453

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to track down more info about my Grandfather's service career.  I've attached his MIC and a photo for reference.

I have a  few dumb newbie questions:

1. I know the "Roll" column in the MIC identifies the appropriate Medal Roll for the individual but might the "230 B" indicate service with the 230th Siege Battery? 
  2. If "230 B" is not his unit identifier, is there any way to know in which unit(s) he served?
  3. Is the lanyard he's wearing indicative of anything?

As you can tell, I'm a complete numpty when it comes to the RGA so any and all hints and tips would be most welcome.

Many thanks,

Mark

5a68c065a85d4_HenryHaselden(218040)RoyalGarrisonArtillery.jpg.14df0fb026dbf49063c00cd942be03e8.jpg

Henry Haselden Medal Index Card.jpg

Edited by Buffnut453

1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

Mark

230 B is NOT going to be his unit I'm afraid;

Charlie

Thanks Charlie. That's about what I expected...but had to ask just to be sure.

Yeah...if his Service No. provides some indication of enlistment date, that would be a useful start.  I suspect it was later in the war, perhaps 1917.

As indicated above, the 230 b refers to the Medal Roll (which are available on very prominent genealogy websites). The fact that there is no date on the MIC tells you that he didnt go overseas until after 1 January 1916.

The Medal roll, in this case, is not too helpful. It states "Base Details", which would suggest that he went overseas as a reinforcement for a unit rather than going overseas with a new unit. If you look at the Medal Roll, you will find a list of other gunners with close numbers e.g. 218038 Fish, 218039 Foster, 218043 Boyd,  218045 Harrop. If you search for service records for a few of these, you will, most likelythat they enlisted at the same time which will also indicate when your man enlisted. It could also give you a chance of a likely unit but that's another day's very hard work.

Mark

Edited by kildaremark

4 hours ago, kildaremark said:

As indicated above, the 230 b refers to the Medal Roll (which are available on very prominent genealogy websites). The fact that there is no date on the MIC tells you that he didnt go overseas until after 1 January 1916.

The Medal roll, in this case, is not too helpful. It states "Base Details", which would suggest that he went overseas as a reinforcement for a unit rather than going overseas with a new unit. If you look at the Medal Roll, you will find a list of other gunners with close numbers e.g. 218038 Fish, 218039 Foster, 218043 Boyd,  218045 Harrop. If you search for service records for a few of these, you will, most likelythat they enlisted at the same time which will also indicate when your man enlisted. It could also give you a chance of a likely unit but that's another day's very hard work.

Mark

Thanks Mark.  I didn't realize that the lack of a date on the MIC was an indicator that the individual only went overseas after 1 Jan 1916.  Another useful tidbit of info for me to lodge in the memory banks.

I'll take a look at the other personnel in case any of them have surviving service records.  Appreciate the helpful advice.  I'll certainly give it a go.

Cheers,

T'other Mark

23 hours ago, kildaremark said:

If you look at the Medal Roll, you will find a list of other gunners with close numbers e.g. 218038 Fish, 218039 Foster, 218043 Boyd,  218045 Harrop. If you search for service records for a few of these, you will, most likelythat they enlisted at the same time which will also indicate when your man enlisted. It could also give you a chance of a likely unit but that's another day's very hard work.

Ok...did a bit of digging.  Alas, none of the service records appear to have survived for the named individuals on the Medal Roll.  However, I did find 218041 Gnr Joseph Francis Farmer RGA who enlisted 2 June 1916 but wasn't mobilized until 1918.  He's listed as posted to 20th Hvy Bty and also he spent some time in Salonika in 1919. 

If nothing else, it gives me a probable enlistment date for my Grandad.