Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SS BELLEROPHON

Sgt Stripes

Hi. Does anyone have any information on a ship called SS BELLEROPHON. Many thanks

Hello GreyC.. Many thanks for your reply but the ship I am looking for is a merchant ship. She might even have been used in transporting troops to France.  

On September 17th 2008 a request for information was made regarding SS Billophone  which turned out to be SS Bellerophon.  A search for SS Billophone should give some information and a photograph of the ship.

Bob

Hi,

according to my 1917-18 Lloyds Register the ship was built in 1906 by Workman, Clark & Co, Belfast. She was a TwinScrew Steamer of 8954 gross ts, 485,3ft long, 58,4 ft wide and of 31ft depth. The owners A. Holt & Co (Ocean SS Ltd), Liverpool. Master of the ship at least around 1916 was a J. Barber. It had electric light and a wireless. In 1935 still under same ownership with slightly altered gross ts of 9019, alas same dimensions. Talbot-Booth Merchant Shipping catalouge of 1944 still lists the ship with Holt. Scapped 1948. According to

http://passengersinhistory.sa.gov.au/node/921067

it was employed to carry troops in WW1

GreyC

PS: Bob´s reference to be found here:

Edited by GreyC

SS Belerophon carried 6 officers, 170 men and transport from Southampton on 17th December 1915 according to the War diaries of 6th Battalion Royal Irish Regiment. Spelled as above in the War diaries. Arrived in La Harve (Harve in the diaries) on the 18th December. Travelled with SS La Marguerite. I’ve been looking for information on both ships. 

Edited by Margaretnolan

Thanks for your replies. I did not know anything about this ship, only a brief reference in a war diary.. she really had a long carrier and survived two world wars.  There does seem to be a bit of confusion around the spelling of her name. . A brave merchant ship that deserve not to be forgotten. 

La Margeurite seems to have been a steamer operating with Liverpool and North Wales Steam Packet Company and likely used as a troop carrier cross-Channel. Some pics of the various users of the name, which may fit your search :

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/LaMarguerite.html

Edited by sotonmate

Margaret.     I wrote a feature article of the history of "La Marguerite" several years ago with the intention of sending it to a shipping magazine which in the end I did not do.  I have searched in vain to find it on my PC, so must have ditched it.  I have a hard copy however which I would be only too pleased to copy for you, but not being very PC savvy would need your address.  Have you any ideas how I might obtain that without all the world knowing where you live?          In compiling the feature I listened in to a recording of a  character who was on board at the Welsh archives which gives a real flavour of the atmosphere aboard.

Aigburth, Margaret - the personal message system is what you want. Click on the other person's name beside the post and an option screen including "send a message" should pop up.

Regards,

sJ

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

You might be interested in this from my Grandfather's Diary of 1907, he went on a six month voyage to the 'Far East and Far West'. He went on to be an army surgeon from 1915 to 1919  - James F Blackett. There was an outbreak of smallpox on the ship in Jan 1908, which he dealt with by isolating the patients and vaccinating others, and informing the appropriate authorities, typically efficient of him!

11 November 1907

The S.S. Bellerophon, which in the ordinary course of things is to be my home for over six months is a very big boat, is apparently a comfortable one, and is said to be very ugly. I have not had an opportunity of seeing her from a distance so that I can hardly judge as to this last. A more detailed description had better be deferred until I know more about her.

We left Cathcart Street Wharf, Birkenhead about 10.45 yesterday morning and got into the Mersey soon after 1.0, in company with the Artyanax (another Holt boat), and the Manifur. The Artyanax is also bound for the Far East, but as we do 2 knots an hour more than she does we shall probably not see her again. We understand at present that on the outward voyage we are to call at Port Said, Colombo, Penang, Singapore, Manila, Hong Kong, Kobe, Yokohama and the ports in Puget Sound.

image.thumb.png.a887991e987a20c78cc73d4a274d5df9.png

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

Some more info for your files on these two ships:

Bellerophon: Was used for cross-channel transport of troops from August 1914 to Jan 1917, then for the transport of Portuguese troops from Jan to Oct 1917, then troop transport to the Med from Oct 17 to March 1918. 

La Marguerite: used for cross-channel troop transport March 1915 to May 1919. Broken up 1925.

Mike

• 1 year later...

My father Peter Lightbody was at sea on the SS Bellerophon after finishing his education on HMS Conway. I have this post card with a few details on the reverse.

Cheers, Nick Lightbody, Cambridge UK

Belleraphon_front.png

Belleraphon_back.png

• 2 years later...
On 02/09/2020 at 02:18, Guest said:

My father Peter Lightbody was at sea on the SS Bellerophon after finishing his education on HMS Conway. I have this post card with a few details on the reverse.

Cheers, Nick Lightbody, Cambridge UK

Belleraphon_front.png

Belleraphon_back.png

Thank you very much. I have just seen your reply.

Margaret

• 7 months later...

My Grandfather embarked on SS Bellerophon.  Details from the 180 Bde RFA War Diary: 

16th Division

180th Brigade Royal Field Artillery

Bordon

Feb 1916

16th, 17th, 18th

The Brigade left Bordon by rail and embarked at Southampton as follows:

On SS Southwest Miller – Headquarters and “A” Battery

On SS Bellerophon – “B” and “C” Batteries

On SS Archimedes – “D” and BAC

Havre

17 February 1916

“A”, “B”, “C” and Headquarters disembarked at Havre on the morning of the 17th, “D” and the BAC on the evening of the same day. The Brigade, with the exception of the BAC, entrained on the evening of the 17th and proceeded by rail to Berguette where it arrived at 10:30pm on 18th February, entrained and marched 14km to Blessy.

The BAC entrained at Havre on the evening of the 18th and arrived at Blessy on the morning of 20th February.

Hi Deerdiver

Just wanted to welcome you to the Forum and thank you for the additional information, I’m sure it will help in painting a picture of her war service and those who travelled on her.