Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private A Horrocks

AndyC1085

I am trying to find out information on a Private A Horrocks.

the reason being is that he makes note on my Great Uncle being injured at Gallipoli.

with my Great Uncle being just a private, it’s hard to trave his movements.

my Great Uncle was in the 1st East Lancashire Field Ambulance. Part of the 42nd Division.

he was injured in June 1915, probably during one of the Krithia battles. If I can find out more about Private A Horrocks I might be able to know where my Great Uncle was.

the reference number for his diary is RAMC/1004/2 at the Wellcome Library.

do you know any first names?

2 minutes ago, Coldstreamer said:

do you know any first names?

Unfortunately not.

Part of me thinks Anthony, but I don't know why I think that!

Several A Horrocks in RAMC. But can exclude several that did not serve in a theatre of war before start of 1916 as no Star.

checked a 1445 Arthur Walkden Horrocks and there are surviving docs.  He has a very complete history of where he was and when including Gallipoli early May 1915 to Jan 1916.Later 350470. Certainly served in 1/2 and 1/3 E Lancs FA but difficult on first look to decipher when exactly. TF man enlisted 1911, Egypt Sep 1914, then Gallipoli, then Egypt to 1917. Then later periods in the BEF. Looks to be your man. One other looks a possible but does not get to the Balkans until Aug 1915. Another in Dec 1915. High probability AWH is your man I would think.

Edit - Craig got there first.

What was your great uncle called etc?

Edited by Mark1959

22 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

Several A Horrocks in RAMC. But can exclude several that did not serve in a theatre of war before start of 1916 as no Star.

checked a 1445 Arthur Walkden Horrocks and there are surviving docs.  He has a very complete history of where he was and when including Gallipoli early May 1915 to Jan 1916.Later 350470. Certainly served in 1/2 and 1/3 E Lancs FA but difficult on first look to decipher when exactly. TF man enlisted 1911, Egypt Sep 1914, then Gallipoli, then Egypt to 1917. Then later periods in the BEF. Looks to be your man. One other looks a possible but does not get to the Balkans until Aug 1915. Another in Dec 1915. High probability AWH is your man I would think.

Edit - Craig got there first.

What was your great uncle called etc?

Great Uncle was Joseph Aloysius Callaghan.

Served in 1st East Lancashire Field Ambulance from September 1914 to August 1915.

He's recorded on 30th June in Private Horrocks diary as "Joe Callaghan".

14 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

The Wellcome Trust records the diary as A S Horrocks

image.png.8099c329e5497632d173b784ef922435.png

Online diary - https://wellcomelibrary.org/item/b18324885#?c=0&m=0&s=0&cv=0

Craig

Not sure I'd seen that one before.

Thanks.

Although this is after the period I am interested in, at least it gives a middle initial.

Your uncle Joe was later a Captain in the South Lancs ? - if so then National Archives should have his officers record ( WO 339/51578 ), there's a good chance his RAMC service record is bundled in with it.

Craig

13 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Your uncle Joe was later a Captain in the South Lancs ? - if so then National Archives should have his officers record ( WO 339/51578 ), there's a good chance his RAMC service record is bundled in with it.

Craig

I've read the file, but other than his general whereabouts, doesn't go into much detail about his time in the RAMC.

1 minute ago, AndyC1085 said:

I've read the file, but other than his general whereabouts, doesn't go into much detail about his time in the RAMC.

Ah, Ok.

Craig

So possibly Arthur Stanley Horrocks RAMC. He did not qualify for his 1914-15 in the Balkans until 22/8/15. Discharged 8/4;19. But that means he was not present in June 1915. There is no other obvious Horrocks apart from AW so we have a bit of a problem. 

40 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

So possibly Arthur Stanley Horrocks RAMC. He did not qualify for his 1914-15 in the Balkans until 22/8/15. Discharged 8/4;19. But that means he was not present in June 1915. There is no other obvious Horrocks apart from AW so we have a bit of a problem. 

Interesting!

Thank you.

Forces War Records say a JA Callaghan RAMC appears in the War Office Casualty List on 12/9/1915. Number is 351 and showing as 1 E Lancs FA. This is not to say he was not wounded in June but would indicate a wounding in possibly early Sept. 

Medal card shows 351 is Joseph Aloysius. Qual for 1914/15 Star is Sept 1914. Shows Gallipoli in writing but uses code 3 which is Egypt. So to Egypt in 1914. Gallipoli later.

Edited by Mark1959

1 hour ago, Mark1959 said:

Forces War Records say a JA Callaghan RAMC appears in the War Office Casualty List on 12/9/1915. Number is 351 and showing as 1 E Lancs FA. This is not to say he was not wounded in June but would indicate a wounding in possibly early Sept. 

Medal card shows 351 is Joseph Aloysius. Qual for 1914/15 Star is Sept 1914. Shows Gallipoli in writing but uses code 3 which is Egypt. So to Egypt in 1914. Gallipoli later.

The diary entry is in June 1915.

His Army records show that he was put on a ship back to England on 8th August 1915.

Never seen the September date you mention before, but there are so many dates for this one incident!