Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interesting medal inscription.

Spud Trevor

I was wondering if anybody had any ideas about the inscription on the little medal below ? I think the initials are the key, but unfortunately I don't know what they mean.

I don't have any accompanying medals or any other clues as to why the medal may have been given.

This is my first picture attachment, which I hope will be clear.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks, with best wishes for 2005.

Spud

Difficult to judge the size, but it looks as if this specially-made medallion was made to fit into a commercial gold sovereign watch-chain fob. It looks as if the medallion part is gold, too. Very nice, and I hope you uncover the story behind it.

Tom

What about the...

Could that be the date?

1816 --- Loos trenches...?

Looks like a tricky project to me.

Nice item though.

Mark

What about the...

Could that be the date?

1816 ---  Loos trenches...?

It's "1916" - the hand-engraving is not as machine-perfect as we've come to expect these days.

Tom

Ah, yes. I see it now Tom.

Better get to specsavers Eh...!!!

Mark

I have an unfair advantage Mark because my Great Grandfather was an engraver and I still have lots of the stuff that he did on watches, rings etc so I'm used to looking at that kind of thing. Here is my pocket-watch and if you look at the date "1922" this is the type of "9" the engraver was aiming at.

Also - spot the non-deliberate error. (Clue - my Great Grandfather did a lot of engraving on brass printing-plates, where everything had to be backwards.........)

Tom

post-23-1104680955.jpg

The 'Loos Trenches' were in Blackpool, and dug so the public in England could see what the trench systems in France looked like. I think they were completed in 1916; so perhaps this was a thank you for help with this? If I remember correctly there was an article about the Loos Trenches in a back issue of 'Stand To!' ?

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. The medal is just over 1 inch in diameter and is indeed nicely engraved, although it doesn't look to be in Tom's Great Grandfather's league. The hallmarks are for Chester for one of the war years.

My first thought on the initials were that the H could possibly have stood for hospital and that the medal may have been given to a nurse.

Following that similar to m13pgb I wondered if the initials were of an officer and had the medal been given to his batman, although I don't know how common this would have been.

I enjoy a puzzle, but this one may not have an answer.

Thanks again,

Spud

...... and didn't convalescent soldiers from a local hospital show tourists/visitors around the Blackpool trenches, pointing out the significance of the various features?

Tom

Also - spot the non-deliberate error. (Clue - my Great Grandfather did a lot of engraving on brass printing-plates, where everything had to be backwards.........)

Tom

"Fed"? Guessing it should be "Feb", and he put the "d" backwards?

With everybodies help I think we've got there. Thank you.

I don't think I'd have ever got the King's Lancashire Military Convalescent Hospital without Joe's help.

Its certainly good to understand the medal's history and I've learnt something.

Thanks to everybody,

Spud

Tom

"Fed"? Guessing it should be "Feb", and he put the "d" backwards?

Correct! It was some years before I noticed it, Andrew!

Tom

I think we all learnt something there.

Paul and Joe really came up with the goods.

Well done guys