Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arthur Bassam: from 2/1 London Brigade to RAF in 1918, any early war docs?

Colee

I am looking to identify an Arthur George Bassam, brother of:

William Edward Bassam (11th Queen's (Royal West Surrey),

Frank Ernest Bassam (8th Bedford, 11th Suffolk I think), 

Augustus Ernest Bassam (2nd London, Royal Fusiliers) and

James Stanley Bassam (1st London (Royal Fusiliers) all from London's St Pancras.

Both William and James very sadly died only 2 weeks apart in the summer of 1916.

The problem is that I've found a number of different Arthur Bassams in the records and I'm trying to work out if any of them is the brother I'm looking for, ie whether all 5 brothers went to war. I think I have the following:

• 'my' Arthur died 2 March 1925 in Watford, Herts - not even sure he was in the war
  • there was an Arthur Bassam who was in the RASC - T3/022519, suffered badly from shell shock and was discharged in May 1918 - this one died near Milton Keynes, so not the one I'm looking for I don't think
  • Arthur Edgar Bassam served in the Essex and Royal West Kent regiments - discounted as the name doesn't quite match
  • Another Arthur George Bassam who transferred to the RAF from the London Brigade in 1918 (see below), with a brother William living in Kentish Town, but this one is named as a Catholic which the rest of the family wasn't - is this 'my' Arthur? - I can't seem to find any records from when he was with the London Brigade which might give more clues as to his identity. 

Many thanks if anyone is able to find any clues I've missed!

Colee

Screenshot (743).png

Your Arthur died 1925 Watford was aged 32 thus born 1893 +/-

The RAF record you show enlisted 23/3/16 aged 23y 8mo thus born Q3 1892   (NB prev 2/1st London Brigade Royal Field Artillery)

There is a birth registration Q4 St Pancras for Arthur George Bassam.

Your Arthur's mother Sarah died 1914. Already a widow. So it would be normal for Arthur to nominate his elder brother William  as NoK.

I see nothing  to say they are not all the same person but still not definite.

Edited by charlie962