Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo of soldiers outside church at Thursley ,Surrey

mickj

My grandfather Ernest Johnson enlisted in 1916 at Godalming, Surrey whilst living in the village of Thursley. I have come across a photo of a group of soldiers outside the village church.

I am asking if anyone knows any of the soldiers in the photo. I am convinced that one of them is my grandfather but don't recognise him. Ernest eventually was posted to Salonika with the RGA as a Signaller/Gunner No. 142011.

Soldiers outside Thursley church one must be Ernest.jpg

Hi to me they are all Royal Engineers, who too had Signals Companies.

Naturally there a few EJs that are Artillery and few that are Engineers.

But of interest might be Gnr/Spr Ernest Johnson.

RGA #156694, RE #312883.

Andy

Andy

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Hello,

I assume this is 142011 Gnr Ernest Johnson that died on the 25 December 1918, buried at Mikra British Cemetery, Kalamaria?

If so then I'm afraid that the photo will not have your Grandfather in it as he was RGA from attesting to his death, and the chaps in the photo are as Andy says RE's, and there is not a Artillery cap badge there.

Sorry

Chris 

Thanks Andy & Chris, i understand what you say but why would they be photographed at the church.

I can give more info about him as he enlisted on 26.11.1915 at Godalming then on 31.5.1916 to 12th Essex Regt

then on 1.9.16 to 25th Training Reserve.It was after that he went to Europe and then to Salonika with the RGA.

Mick

Possibly they had attended a service at the church, or just to provide a nice background to the photo

Mike.

Where did you get the info on the Essex regt Mick?, the only papers i can see on FMP and ancestry are for RGA.

If he was Essex Regt, then I would say there is a possibility that is Essex Regt on the photo, roundish badge...

Hope this helps

Chris

Image result for essex regiment cap badge ww1

Hi Chris, The Essex Regt is first shown on his enlistment papers attached.

Would there have been soldiers in The Essex Regt somewhere local to Thursley?

Mick

Ernest Army Record 1.jpg

Hi, 

The 12th Battalion were based in Harwich, then absorbed in to the 6th Reserves Bde  which appear to be East/Central England based.

The answer for Thursley, perhaps lies in what is now Hankley Common Training Area, still part of MoD training estate and the surrounding Military enclaves of Longmoor and Bordon.  There is certainly evidence of practice trenches being dug there during the war...Sapper or indeed Pioneer Battalion work.

Andy

Missed that on Ancestry! Doh!

Its a shame you've not got another picture of your Grandfather to compare.

Was the photo with other possessions of his?

Chris

Chris, The only photos in existence of my grandfatherthose attached which I believe were taken close to his enlistment.

The group photo was obtained through a Thursley historical society website but with no real information.

Grandad Ernest before WW1.jpg

i Believed to be Ernest & Gertrude with Dad & Ernie Outside Warren Cott.jpg

Nice photos.

What makes you think he's on the soldiers photo though? What info did you get from the society?

Chris

I am clutching at straws really, when I got the photo it was titled soldiers outside Thursley church so I hoped that being a WW1 photo that he was in it.

Being a resident in the village having just enlisted it was likely that he was there and there wasn't a lot of ellegable men in the small village.

Mick

• Admin

The local newspapers reported a contingent of Royal Engineers were billeted at shackleford  in 1915, and in 1916 the King inspected the Lancashire Fusiliers who were working on the trenches at Thursley Common.  The main centre was Witley Camp but men appear to have been stationed, or billeted in all the villages around.  There was a YMCA hut in the village.

Ken 

Good thing is, you have 2 photo's of him, and he's remembered :)

Best wishes

Chris

What is the significance of the inscription in the lower right corner of the bottom photo?

Does it say a/Cpl J. Blackburne 3(or 5) Manchester Regiment?

Was he the photographer?

There are  a few photos connected to the family which have the name Cpl J Blackburne 5th Manchester Regt in the corner but I am unable to find this soldier.

However it could be that the Manchester Regt was at Witley Camp which is near Thursley. There may be no personal connection just that Cpl Blackburn was the regt photographer and just happened to photograph my grandfather etc.

Can't see Manchesters cap badge on group photo, simply looks too round. Mcrs cap badge usually looks square on old photos , officers collar titles appear triangular

Probably RE's then, as origanly thought. And Ken's thread about the paper report seems to support it.

Chris

Thanks to all of your posts, at least there is more to think about. I wonder if Cpl Blackburne was billeted at grandfathers cottage as mentioned by Ken .