Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Four Garfield brothers of Warmington

Watkin55

I am investigating the story of the 4 Garfield Brothers of Warmington and William Charles Garfield Regimental No 17102.

So far we know he was probably killed by machine gun fire on 3rd May 1917 but it is not whether it was the morning or afternoon action.

I would like to establish which company he was in and if possible which in which action he was killed. I know there were 120 casualties and that the second action recovered wounded. Did they also recover the dead?

Appreciate any information no matter how small.

The Four Garfield Brothers of Warmington.png

Edited by Watkin55

He joined the Northamptonshire Regiment on about 25 January 1915 and was originally posted to the 8th Battalion for training. He first served overseas with 7th Battalion. I haven't found a 1914-15 Star entry for him, so overseas service was probably from early 1916. He was reported as Wounded as a Private per Times of 20-9-1916 - though no battalion was shown, the list contains mainly men who were wounded with 7th Battalion at Guillemont in August 1916. He thereafter transferred to 6th Battalion - I would guess joining 6th Battalion due to major casualties at Boom Ravine in February 1917.

The Peterborough Advertiser of 26-5-1917 stated:

“Private William Garfield, Northants Regiment of Warmington was killed in action in France. He had previously been wounded and had rejoined his regiment. The deceased leaves a widow and three young children.

He was an old scholar of the Wesleyan Sunday School and as a last token of respect a very impressive service was held in the chapel on Sunday evening conducted by Mr Burdett of Kettering, who preached a very appropriate sermon. At the close, the Dead March was played by the organist, the congregation standing.”

Discovering which company he was in, or how and when he died will be difficult. I am not aware of any deeper detail being available on casualties at Cherisy.

I believe there used to be a website on the Garfield brothers, but is seems to no longer exist.

Other brothers:

• Lance-Corporal Ernest Robert Garfield, 16393 Northamptonshire Regiment,  enlisted about 9-11-1914;  a L/Cpl. with "A" Coy., 7th Bn. per Embarkation Roll; entitled to 1914-15 Star/BWM/VM; medals claimed via Commissioner of Met Police for PCs. Per 1918 Absent Voters List - Peterborough District, voter ref. #5782, Church Street, Warmington, 16393, Private, 7th Northants; transferred to Class Z on 6 March 1919.
  • Arthur James Garfield, 117469, 36 Motor Transport Company, A.S.C. (per AVL)
  • Frank Garfield, 31911 West Yorkshire Regiment (Per AVL)

Steve.

Edited by Stebie9173

The other brothers seem to be:

Ernest Robert 16393 Northamptonshire R, posted to 7 Battalion, landed in France 1.9.1915,discharged to Class Z Reserve on 6.3.1919.

Walter Stapleton 16389 Notts and Derbys R, enlisted 7.9.1914, posted to 12 Battalion 30.8.1915, transferred to 647928 Labour Corps, discharged sick to Silver War Badge 28.2.1919.

The third is  Arthur James (20 in the 1911 Census), the only one I can find in the Medal Cards is an RGA Gunner 167188, from Rotherham, and he seems to be another man entirely as he was 10 years older than this brother, so there may be another answer, maybe another service ?

Edited by sotonmate

Evening guys,

so grateful, my wife grandmother Ethel Somme Garfield/East/Oliver was William Charles Garfield's daughter.

we did not know about the previous wounding. 

We are so grateful for your help.

best wishes

Mike Ward

• 9 months later...
On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 22:46, Stebie9173 said:

He joined the Northamptonshire Regiment on about 25 January 1915 and was originally posted to the 8th Battalion for training. He first served overseas with 7th Battalion. I haven't found a 1914-15 Star entry for him, so overseas service was probably from early 1916. He was reported as Wounded as a Private per Times of 20-9-1916 - though no battalion was shown, the list contains mainly men who were wounded with 7th Battalion at Guillemont in August 1916. He thereafter transferred to 6th Battalion - I would guess joining 6th Battalion due to major casualties at Boom Ravine in February 1917.

“Private William Garfield, Northants Regiment of Warmington was killed in action in France. He had previously been wounded and had rejoined his regiment. The deceased leaves a widow and three young children.

He was an old scholar of the Wesleyan Sunday School and as a last token of respect a very impressive service was held in the chapel on Sunday evening conducted by Mr Burdett of Kettering, who preached a very appropriate sermon. At the close, the Dead March was played by the organist, the congregation standing.”

Discovering which company he was in, or how and when he died will be difficult. I am not aware of any deeper detail being available on casualties at Cherisy.

I believe there used to be a website on the Garfield brothers, but is seems to no longer exist.

Other brothers:

• Lance-Corporal Ernest Robert Garfield, 16393 Northamptonshire Regiment,  enlisted about 9-11-1914;  a L/Cpl. with "A" Coy., 7th Bn. per Embarkation Roll; entitled to 1914-15 Star/BWM/VM; medals claimed via Commissioner of Met Police for PCs. Per 1918 Absent Voters List - Peterborough District, voter ref. #5782, Church Street, Warmington, 16393, Private, 7th Northants; transferred to Class Z on 6 March 1919.

Steve.

Hi I am also in touch with a cousin from Sutton in Ashfield and this is in relation to another brother C W Garfield

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 22:46, Stebie9173 said:

Other brothers:

Steve.

William Charles was my Grandad we are putting a wreath up on Sunday for him and Sgt pilot W J Garfield  

• 5 years later...

Hi, My name is Elizabeth Needham. My mother was Marion Elizabeth Garfield. I was led to believe that there was 5 brothers from The Garfield family who served in World War I :-

Walter Stapleton ( my grandad) and my 4 great uncles William Charles, Frank, Arthur and Ernest. Sadly only 2 brothers returned and they were my grandad Walter and my great uncle Frank.

My cousin Geraldine Harradine has already replied to this post as her grandfather was William Charles Garfield.

Kindest regards 

Elizabeth Needham

11/11/2023

William Charles Garfield, born 1886 in Warmington.  He was killed in action at Cherisy, France on 3 May 1917, leaving a widow and three small children.  His fourth child was born on 11 October 1917 and named Eliza Ethel Somme Garfield

29.jpg

Very interesting thread thanks for sharing

Frank's papers are in the name of

Ernest Frank Garfield and he was discharged as 61649 West Yorks getting a Silver War Badge 519924. Check out his papers which clearly show his address as living at Church St Warmington. They also mention previous number 31911

Walter Stapleton appears as Stableton and shows he was Notts & Derby getting Silver War Badge B169121

Good luck nailing this altogether a wonderful story is emerging

Andrew

Are you related to the Garfield family Andrew ? Myself and Gerry are cousins. Walter Stapleton was my grandfather and Frank was my great uncle. William Charles was my cousin Gerry’s grandfather and my great uncle and Yes they all lived in Warmington where their parents (my great grandparents) are buried. My Uncle Frank moved to Peterborough and was married to Alice. My grandfather moved to Sutton-In-Ashfield and was married to Emma. They had 6 children Walter James (known as Jim), Margaret, William (known as Bill), Robert, Marion (my Mum) and John. Sadly all of them have now passed away.

Kind regards 

Elizabeth.

Morning Elizabeth

No my interest is more obscure I live in Peterborough and am a keen collector of Silver War badges. I saw the thread and thought I wonder if both surviving brothers got badges. 

And even more obscure we are house hunting at the moment and we identified Warmington as a target Church St is a lovely part.

So all a big coincidence plus it was Remembrance Sunday and what a contribution this family made so they deserve to be remembered widely

Good Luck

Andrew

Hi Andrew, 

Thanks for your reply. I’ve found Frank. His name is Edward Dexter Frank Garfield. I’m struggling with the Silver badge war medals as the records need you to pay 😞

Thanks Elizabeth.

IMG_1993.png

Edited by Elizabeth Needham