Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Item identification help required

algrowen

Evening all, I recently acquired this item on a whim. I loved the patina and the war department markings intrigued me. Now, I have to admit........ I don’t actually know what it is!?

It’s clearly a scoop or measure of some sort, but for what and when?

It’s been suggested it’s an ordinance factory powder measure along with other people saying it’s use was for food portions?!

Any information or knowledge on this would be gratefully received.

Al

A653D645-1734-495B-BC4E-4BACC32CBD13.jpeg

BBAE8DAC-40C4-4C22-B54C-E7AB8141394C.jpeg

3F643FB5-486C-48A4-85A7-9D789038AC97.jpeg

498FDF29-FF60-493F-BF71-BA23E4C101B1.jpeg

5 minutes ago, algrowen said:

Evening all, I recently acquired this item on a whim. I loved the patina and the war department markings intrigued me. Now, I have to admit........ I don’t actually know what it is!?

It’s clearly a scoop or measure of some sort, but for what and when?

It’s been suggested it’s an ordinance factory powder measure along with other people saying it’s use was for food portions?!

Well my first thoughts were the former, and a brief search on the web revealed the picture below. Though this doesn't of course rule out something like the latter...

p01rp3ck.jpg

I would think artillery related, the US used various copper scoops for black powder.  I do not think copper would be used for food stuffs.  Artillery used copper because it was non-sparking.

new3.2

The touching arrows mark indicate it was obsolete, sold out of service, no longer issue.

There is an armourers/magazine knife made from beryllium bronze mentioned in flooks military knives, so wouldn't surprise me if it was armoury related.

If it were food related I'd expect it to be tinned on the inside.

Dave.

Edited by Dave66

The WD /I\ mark was discontinued circa 1895, so the item should have been made prior to this date.

6 hours ago, AlanD said:

The WD /I\ mark was discontinued circa 1895, so the item should have been made prior to this date.

Really? It features heavily on loads of 14-18 equipment and uniforms. Broad arrow very much alive 14-18.

36 minutes ago, trenchtrotter said:

Really? It features heavily on loads of 14-18 equipment and uniforms. Broad arrow very much alive 14-18.

...and later, well beyond WW2.

Sorry I have not made myself clear.I am talking about the broad arrow in conjunction with WD.

I should have written it thus: W /|\ D. The broad arrow without the letters WD was certainly in use in the 1980's and beyond.

The date of 1895 comes from one of Ian Skennertons books and will have been taken from an official source. Like anything not everyone one got told so its use seems to have carried on for a few years after 1895.

No Alan, this is one of those "pitfall areas" which we have (un)covered before on this forum.! :)

Yes what you say is correct for Arms and Weaponry items, but Skennerton had a narrow focus.

For other assorted equipment and Uniforms etc. the W^D continued on in use for many years.

Apparently it has something to do with the different branches having separate instructions ......