Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

commemorative ceremony in Orcq Belgium

Bernard DEMAIRE

Hello

We are looking for more information on the 16 British military fallen in our village: Orcq near Tournai in Belgium in October November 1918 for a commemorative ceremony that will take place on October 20.

Could you help us.

Thank you;

Kind regards

Bernard DEMAIRE

TEXTE MILITAIRES ENG.pdf

Hello,

Concerning research posted 22 january "More information on the 16 british military fallen in Orcq near Tournai Belgium in october 1918" find hereafter list of soldiers:

For the commemorative ceremony of the 20th October 2018, we are looking for:

Additional information on the biography of the soldiers: photos, contact with members of the family...

Orcq communal cemetery

Grave No. 1 Richard IZATT

Born about 1883 in Scotland near Glasgow, husband of Elisabeth, son of James. He died on October 23, 1918. Lance corporal, service number S/26870, 14th battalion Fife and Forfar Yeomanry of the Black Watch (74th division 229th brigade) awarded the English military medal. His name is on the memorial 14-18 of Clydebank in Scotland. We assume that it is because of the military medal that he was buried in the first grave.

Grave No. 2 Frederick Kenneth CUMMING

Born around 1900 in Singapore he had dual nationality, Scottish and Australian. Son of Alexander already deceased in 1918 and Mabel Béatrice Carver. He died on October 23, 1918. Second lieutenant, service number S/25352, 14th battalion Fife and Forfar Yeomanry of the Black Watch (74th division 229th brigade). His brother Alexander Bryant born 1895 died at the front also, in Iraq in 1916.

Grave No. 3 Thomas COCKBURN

Born around 1893 at Duns in Scotland. He died on October 23, 1918. Private, service number S/12506, 14th battalion Fife and Forfar Yeomanry of the Black Watch (74th division 229th brigade).

Grave No. 4 Thomas WALLER

Born in Motherwell (Dalziel) in Scotland. He died on October 23, 1918. Private, service number S/25347, 14th battalion Fife and Forfar Yeomanry of the Black Watch (74th division 229th brigade).

Grave No 5 Thomas R. BARTIE

Born about 1885 in Inveresk in Scotland, son of Philip. He died on October 23, 1918. Private, service number S/9729, 14th battalion Fife and Forfar Yeomanry of the Black Watch (74th division 229th brigade).

Tombe No 6 John BARBER

Born in Stoke Newington (London). He died on October 23, 1918. Private, service number S/25462, 14th battalion Fife and Forfar Yeomanry of the Black Watch (74th division 229th brigade).

Grave No 7 Edward SOWERBY

Born about 1893 in Blackburn in England. He died on October 23, 1918. Private, service number S/6158, 14th battalion Fife and Forfar Yeomanry of the Black Watch (74th division 229th brigade). The families had the faculty to request an inscription on the headstone, Frederick Sowerby father of Edward asked to include "Ever remembered”.

Grave No 8 Andrew WEBB

Born in 1896 in Carluke in Scotland, son of James and Margaret Gilroy. He died on October 23, 1918. Private, service number S/25378, 14th battalion Fife and Forfar Yeomanry of the Black Watch (74th division 229th brigade). His brother John was born about 1887, Sergeant in the Canadian engineers he fell in France on 12 August 1918 and is buried at the British cemetery of Caix (East of Amiens). Both their names are listed on the memorial of the war 14-18 in Carluke. His father asked to add on the headstone of his grave "He died the noblest death that man may die fighting for God and right and liberty."

Grave No. 9 Owen DAVIES

Born in 1886 in the hamlet of Nantmor in Beddgelert in Wales, son of William and Ellen Davies. He died on November 6, 1918. Private, service number 59941, Pembroke and Glamorgan Yeomanry battalion of the Welsh regiment (74th division 231th brigade). He had received 15 days leave in October and was returned to the front on October 22. His name is on the 14-18 memorial of Beddgelert.

Grave No 10 Thomas Arthur Edwin BROWNE

Born about 1890 in Cambridge, son of Morley. His parents lived at Farm House Hill in Wadhurst. He died on October 29, 1918. Private, service number T/270706, 10th Battalion Royal East Kent Yeomanry of the Buffs regiment (74th division 231th brigade). His name is on the 14-18 memorial of Wadhurst as well as on a commemorative plaque of the Church Saints Peter and Paul in Wadhurst.

Grave No 11 Albert SIMPKINS

Born in St Albans, North of London. He died on October 28, 1918. Private, service number G/25955, 10th Battalion Royal East Kent Yeomanry of the Buffs regiment (74th division 230th brigade).

Grave No. 12 Henry Braybrook TUCKER

Born around 1894 in London, probably in the neighborhood of Shoreditch, son of Henry. He died on October 24, 1918. Bombardier, service number 87247, 74th battalion Medium Trench Mortar Battery of the regiment of the Royal Field Artillery.

Grave No. 13 Charles Alfred CHRISTENSON

Born around 1898, son of George domiciled 21 Tweed street in Hebburn on Tyne near Newcastle. He died on October 24, 1918. Gunner, service number 251383, 74th battalion Medium Trench Mortar Battery of the regiment of the Royal Field Artillery.

Grave No. 14 William Gordon WILLIAMS

Born around 1899, son of William. His parents are domiciled 48 Bay road Sholing a district of Southampton. He died on October 22, 1918. Private, service number 39985, 12th battalion West Somerset Yeomanry of the regiment of the Somerset light infantry (74th division 229th brigade) .  His mother asked to add on the headstone of his grave "Jesu mercy."

Grave No. 15 Henry MALPASS

Born around 1898 in Stourbridge West of Birmingham. He was one of the last inhabitants of Stourbridge to commit to the Western front in May 1918. He died on October 22, 1918. Private, service number 18742, 12th battalion West Somerset Yeomanry of the regiment of the Somerset light infantry (74th division 229th brigade).  His name is on the 14-18 memorial of Stourbridge (Mary Stevens park).

Grave No. 16 Guy William HILL

Born in Hook between London and Southampton, son of Frederick. He died on October 21, 1918. Private, service number 31351, 12th battalion West Somerset Yeomanry of the regiment of the Somerset light infantry (74th division 229th brigade). His name is on the 14-18 memorial of Oldiham near his place of birth and near Warnborough his place of residence and of his parents in October 1918.

• 9 months later...

Hello Bernard, unfortunately I just became aware of the ceremony that took place in Orcq recently, certainly my sister and I would have travelled to Orcq to attend. Richard Izatt is my great grandfather, my sister did travel to the cemetery a few years ago. We would like to thank you and the people of the village for taking care and remembering our fallen soldiers.

i did send away for Richards war records and there was no mention of a medal except the one that is given to all British soldiers that serve overseas. 

Once again, thank you so much, if additional information is required I would be happy to try and help.

Richard was born in Cowgates, Dunfermline, Fife just for the record. 

Regards Sharon Izatt

Unfortunately I also have just discovered your website. Andrew Webb was my grandfather's brother. I visited his grave in Orcq a few years ago. His brother John was killed near Caix in August 1918.

Hello, this message is for Bernard Demaire who posted a request for information on British soldiers who fell during WWI in/near Orcq, Belgium, in connection with a commemorative ceremony held there on 2018 October 20.

This request caught my attention because I was recently contacted by a person named Claire who was researching for information on the families of these soldiers for the town of Orcq for an article to be published in a British newspaper in November. I was contacted because my family tree had been accessed indicating that I might be a descendant of one of the soldiers, Albert Herbert Simpkins. I responded that I was indeed related - a 1st cousin 2x removed. Here is my reply to Claire:

"Hello Claire, My mother was Doris Marjorie Simpkins. Albert was the son of her grandfather's (James Simpkins) brother, William. That makes Albert my 1st cousin 2x removed, in other words, my great-grandfather's brother's son. My grandfather, Archibald Frank Simpkins (who also served in WWI with the 65 Battalion of the Canadian Over-Seas Expeditionary Force), moved to Canada and settled in Winnipeg, Manitoba, where I was born. All of the senior members of the Simpkins family who emigrated to Canada are deceased and I rather doubt that my living Simpkins cousins in Winnipeg know much if anything about Albert. Furthermore, we have lost touch with any relatives in England, so I don't know if Albert has any descendants living in his line. Such was the situation, I suspect, in most families, that they didn't talk much about the past, especially unpleasant things like war and death. From the genealogy research I've done, I know that Albert died on 28 Oct 1918 in Flanders, Belgium during WWI. I believe he was a private serving with the Buffs (East Kent) Regiment, 10th Battalion (Labour Corps). His regimental number was 428324. He was married when he enlisted at age 30. His spouse was Eliza Daniels and they had two children, William Charles (b. 19 Nov, 1904) and Edith Lizzie (b. 16 Jul 1915). He had five siblings, including Lillian (b. 1893), Frederick (b. 1878), Ruth (b. 1887), Ellen (b. 1889) and Emma (b. 1880). Albert was born in 1884 in St. Peters, Hertfordshire, England (St. Albans was the Registration District). You may obtain further information from the British National Archives, Public Record Office, World War One Soldiers' Document WO363 as referenced in Ancestry. I have been aware over the years of the amazing acts of remembrance in towns and cities across Europe of the Allied troops who gave the supreme sacrifice in the defence of liberty from tyranny. I have seen countless ceremonies in French, Belgian and Dutch communities on television on Remembrance Day with thousands of citizens, especially the young, who didn't experience the horrors of war directly but who demonstrate year after year their gratitude for the sacrifices made in those terrible years. I and my fellow countrymen have been touched by such remembrance. My own father (Frederick Heneage Ward), who was born in Yorkshire, England, and later moved to Canada, served in WWII in the Canadian Army and helped liberate Italy, Holland, eventually ending up in Germany. He was one of the lucky ones to return home, but he, like many, many of his comrades suffered severe emotional injuries for the remainder of their lives. So we who enjoy freedom today can thank all of them for their sacrifices and it behooves all of us to take time each year to remember them. Thank you for your efforts in this regard and on behalf of the Simpkins Family, living and deceased, we are honoured that the citizens of the town of Orcq are making the effort to know more about the men who fell there, including our ancestor, Albert. I hope I have been of some help in your search.

Sincerely, David Studham (Simpkins/Ward), Petawawa, Ontario, Canada. P.S. You may contact me directly if you wish at dstudham@nrtco.net. I trust this message will reach you, albeit late for the ceremony you conducted in October.

I am William Cockburn the Thomas Chapman Cockburn who is buried in the cemetery is my grandfathers brother.I am in possession of Thomas's war medals and wonder if the village has some way of keeping them and showing them as I am open to passing his medals to you.I can be contacted at williamcockburn54@gmail.com.

There are a lot of photos of the ceremony on 20th october on the village´s website  http://orcq.be/

http://orcq.be/blog/2018/10/22/commemoration-14-18-du-20-october-en-image/

1656180441_aorcqClipboard-1.jpg.0a6984d792e061a79e73badcebc29a79.jpg

I've sent them a message through their website, informing them of the replies to this thread.

*edit*: they replied promptly. Monsier Demaire will reply a.s.a.p.

Edited by JWK

For William Cockburn: your adress williamcockburn54@gmail.com. does not work, thank you to correct.

Kind regards

Bernard Demaire

bernard.demaire@gmail.com

For William Cockburn: please do not consider my message of yesterday, My email adress bernard.demaire@gmail.com is no longer valid, use the following one: bernard.demaire@skynet.be Thank you.