Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

alisonpayn

Hi

I am trying to do as much research as possible into my great great uncle Albert Victory Busby who served in the 2nd Battalion of the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, service number 7924.

I've failed to find his search record but have found some POW records, his grave, medal roll (confirming his disembarkation date of 12 Sep 1914) and a letter he wrote that was printed in the Witney Gazette in June 1915.  What I am missing is understanding more about his military service (I do know he was already enlisted in 1911 but don't know he if then came out and went back in), where he was fatally injured and more photos of him.  The POW records seem to state he was captured in Basse on 26 Sep 1915 but I've not been able to link this to a place that the battalion was during that time.  There does seem to be some possible contradiction on his date of death - either 10 or 12 Oct 1915 and again, location seems to either in France or Cologne!

Can anyone help with any more info? 

thanks

Alison

#7924 appears to have been allocated in the first half of 1905 so assuming he enlisted for the standard 7 &  5 then he was in to the army reserve in 1912 and re-called in 1914.

What do the soldiers effects records on Ancestry show for his death ?

Craig

Prompted by Craig, the Effects' record shows died of wounds in Cologne on 12.10.15. Soldiers Died in the Great War has the same date - but has France and Flanders probably because he was recorded missing believed killed rather than taken as a POW.. CWGC has the same date too.

Mike

Just had a look at the war diary and there was a 5th Brigade attack at Givenchy (near La Bassée) on 25th September which resulted in 1 officer and 69 OR's missing from the 2nd Battalion.

What I can't see on the POW records is a reference to Basse and the 26th....

Mike

Thanks Craig and Mike.

Mike.. I managed to check the records again and it's on record R11076 (which is referenced on one of the 3 pages they show first) 

Thank you for the info on the battle.. Is there anymore information / something I can view? 

Edited by alisonpayn

• Admin
17 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

#7924 appears to have been allocated in the first half of 1905 so assuming he enlisted for the standard 7 &  5 then he was in to the army reserve in 1912 and re-called in 1914.

What do the soldiers effects records on Ancestry show for his death ?

Craig

Type 1 £4 10s payable to father Philip

Feeding it into your calculator gives August 1914.

The main body embarked 14 August as part of 5th Brigade 2nd Division, so he was a reinforcement and probably not serving at Aldershot when war was declared.

He was born in 1894 (1901 Census) so could not have enlisted in 1905.  There is a service record for Pte 7924 Richard Waters OBLI, a bugler aged 18 yrs who did enlist in June 1905.  The 1911 Census has Albert Victor Busby aged 17 and born in Leafield Warwickshire at Cowley Barracks, Cowley, Oxfordshire.  It therefore seems likely he was, in April 1911 undertaking the initial six months full time training required of the Special Reserve. 

However I have found a 3/7979 Marsh 1st Bn., b.1893 who was in the Special Reserve, enlisting 20 January 1911 two months short of his nineteenth birthday.  He embarked for France 28/08/1914.  He must have joined the 2nd Bn and was wounded in November 1914.

So I think you can say Albert Victor Busby enlisted as a Special Reservist 1911, and was mobilised on the 4th August, probably to Aldershot from where he embarked to France on the date shown.  The war diary for the 2nd Bn for the 21st September 1914 shows '3rd reinforcement of 120 men with 2/Lt Humphrey (Spec Res) arrived'.  Busby remained with the 2nd Bn until wounded.

The war diary is on Ancestry here if you subscribe

or can be downloaded from TNA for £3.50 http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4554499

unfortunately they have split it so you will have to make two downloads to cover the whole period.

Ken

Edited by kenf48

Type 1 £4 10s payable to father Philip

Feeding it into your calculator gives August 1914

Thanks Ken. Spot on for what I'd expect for anyone called up at the outbreak of war - unfortunately all it can say is he wasn't in a regular period of service with the colours in August 1914.

Craig

• Admin
8 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Thanks Ken. Spot on for what I'd expect for anyone called up at the outbreak of war - unfortunately all it can say is he wasn't in a regular period of service with the colours in August 1914.

Craig

Did a quick edit it seems certain he was in the Special Reserve as the 1911 census has him in the Depot at Cowley.

Ken

1 minute ago, kenf48 said:

Did a quick edit it seems certain he was in the Special Reserve as the 1911 census has him in the Depot at Cowley.

Ken

Thanks Ken, that's pretty much as good confirmation of SR as you can get and matches the gratuity expected.

Craig