Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Liverpool Regiment / Army Service Corps

David Kessen

The few surviving service records that exist for my grandfather, Adam Kessen, record him signing up to serve with the territorial 1/7 bttn, Kings Liverpool Regiment in Sept 1914. But on his attestation form, it also says 'Corps: WL ASC'. I take this to mean West Lancs Army Service Corps. The records also show him transferred to the regular ASC in Sept 1916 in accordance with army council instruction 1677 1916.

I had always assumed that being in the KLR meant he was in the infantry.

I know he served in France from March 1915 to June 1917. There are pictures of him in the 7KLR cap badge, and pictures of him in the ASC cap badge.

To confuse things further, documents describing his transfer to the regular ASC describe his corps in 1914 as Liverpool, and unit as 7th.

Does anyone know how the ASC was organised in 1914? Does this mean he was in the ASC in 1914 or the KLR? If in the ASC, would he have been specifically attached to 7KLR prior to transfer? And would that still be the case after Sept 1916?

I'd be really grateful if someone can help me understand.

Have you downloaded a copy of his Medal Index Card from the National Archives? It might answer some of your questions.

All the best,

Gary

His medal roll on Ancestry shows he transferred to the RASC on 11.09.16.

Mike

His MIC is under the name Adam Essler Kessem - shows L'pool Reg, RASC and then commissioned into the L'pool Reg on 27.11.17 as a 2nd Lieutenant. Also gives the date of entry into France 07.03.15 (which marries to the 7th's entry - see below) and an Aintree address in L'pool.

1/7th Battalion
August 1914 : in Park St, Bootle. Part of Liverpool Brigade, West Lancashire Division.
8 March 1915 : landed at Le Havre and transferred to 6th Brigade, 2nd Division.
4 September 1915 : transferred to 5th Brigade in same Division.
15 November 1915 : transferred to 22nd Brigade, 7th Division.
7 January 1916 : transferred to 165th Brigade, 55th (West Lancashire) Division.

Sorry I can't answer your main KLR/ASC query about the first part of his service - hopefully a Forum expert will elucidate..

Mike