Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stan Harley posing for the statue

rmtruby

Does anyone have a photograph of the Brierley Hill war memorial? I was recently reading about the soldier who posed for the memorial, Stan Harley. He was employed at Round Oak Steel Works for many years. He left school in September 1913, and volunteered for the army when the war broke out, aged 15 and a half. He joined the 1st Bn, Worcestershire Regt. Five years later he arrived back home, decorated with the DCM. In 1921 he was chosen to pose in full army dress for photographs, taken by Messrs. George Brown and Sons, monumental stonemasons of Kidderminster, that were to be used for the Brierley Hill Statue on Church Hill.

If anyone has any extra information on Stan Harley, or any soldiers that were used to pose for statues, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ray

Ray

You must have read this item in the Black Country Bugle, and indeed you must be the Ray Truby from Cheshire who contributes to the Bugle and has an interest in West Bromwich (native of ??).

I don't have a photgraph to hand but I live in Kingswinford which is only a few miles from Brierley Hill so I'll get a photo in the next couple of days. Do you want it digitally or printed and mailed?

I've read this forum for a while now and at last I can offer something so I've signed up!

My interest is Gt War in general, but I am researching the men of Tipton who died in the Gt War, with yet another "one-town" web site intended for the results. I've visited and photographed more Tipton men's graves in France and Belgium (and a few further afield) than a sane man could ever wish to do.

If anyone has anything to hand that I may be interested in (especially photographs) please let me know - I know someone in this forum has an interest in Michael Carter RE.

Regards

Andy Johnson

Hi Andy

Thanks for the reply. It'd be great to have the photo in a digital format.

Thanks

Ray

Ray

A selection from an amateur 'point & shoot' photographer!

Don't forget - I'm interested in anything about the men of Tipton .

Andy

post-19-1104885957.jpg

Hi Andy

Thanks for the photos.

Brilliant.

Ray

andy, you have known me long enough to not listen to a word i say!! :D