Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hooge

john wayne

Hello

I am surching for pictures and (trench) maps of hooge 1915.

There are some great pictures on the forum about hooge but to bad i can not seem to open them.

(the topic dates of 2005).

I'm very interessed in the area of hooge and bellewaerde, because a personal friend of mine, her grandfather faught and died there.

Thanks on advance

You may find the website www.bellewaarde1915.co.uk useful. 

John, Do you have a name for your friend's grandfather, and/or Regiment he may have served with?

Echo that - if KRRC or Rifle Brigade, then Andy and I would definitely be interested in hearing more.

Mark

Armed with the friend's grandfather's name, we can probably add a great deal, particularly if he was in the KRRC or the Rifle Brigade.

Mark

Hello,

First of all, thanks for the quick respons.

The name of the hero is:

HALE Sydney Rifleman 7297 8th Bn. Rifle Brigade. Died on 30/07/1915. Commemorated at Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Ieper, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium, Panel 46 - 48 and 50.

16 minutes ago, john wayne said:

Hello,

The name of the hero is:

HALE Sydney Rifleman 7297 8th Bn. Rifle Brigade. Died on 30/07/1915. Commemorated at Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Ieper, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium, Panel 46 - 48 and 50.

17 minutes ago, john wayne said:

Hello,

The name of the hero is:

sh.png

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum. Firstly his number was S/7297 and he had gone overseas with the battalion on 20/5/15. He was in "C" Company which held the line on the right side of the crater. This Company virtually ceased to exist after the initial attack. This was Captain E.F. Prior's Company with Keith Rae's platoon next to the crater. "A" Company were on the left of the crater with "B" and "D" Companies in reserve on the edge of Zouave Wood.

Re. Bellewaerde, Hooge was only the 2nd stint the battalion had been in the trenches for, the 1st was further to the left by Railway Wood.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

This thread should give you more of what you are requesting, failing that let me know. However there are numerous threads on the forum concerning Hooge.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

Welcome Wayne,

I should add that this was a totally new area to the battalion, they had never been in this sector before or the trench system and only relieved the 7th Rifle Brigade a few hours before the flamethrower attack. At places near the crater the opposing trenches were only approx. 15 yards apart.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853