Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pattern 1907 Wilkinson Bayonet & Scabbard with W marking on leather

I have a pattern 1907 bayonet manufactured in 1918 and I am seeking more information pertaining to the markings on the scabbard. On one side of the locket, there is 7J/B, and on the other side there are the initials J.B, as well as a W printed into the leather. From doing some research, I believe the J.B represents J.B. Brooks & Co Ltd., and the 7J/B is an inspection mark. Ideally I'd like more information on what the W could represent, along with more specifics about the inspection mark. Thanks!

IMG_2567.JPG

from memory = Wax (finish) on the leather?

Now I'll go and look it up! I know I have seen it and have it on some of my scabbards

Chris

Just now, 4thGordons said:

from memory = Wax (finish) on the leather?

Now I'll go and look it up! I know I have seen it and have it on some of my scabbards

Chris

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, bearcat06 said:

Thanks!

Well hold on -- I cannot find the reference so I may well be in error. I will need keep looking but......

I am sure ShippingSteel or JMB or one of the others will be along soon to correct me!

The other obvious source of W on scabbards is W(inchester) made scabbards for Pattern 1913 bayonets but I think that is usually stamped on the metal rather than the leather.

Chris

FOUND IT!

Skennerton and Richardson 'British and Commonwealth Bayonets' does say (p.202) that W = 'waxed' (post 1923)

Edited by 4thGordons
add citation

definitely post ww1 Waxed finish , sometimes ww2 scabbards have manufacturer codes stamped on the leather, locket or chape ie M44(midlands) or N??(Northern)...anything visable?

Theres quite a long discussion on here under the heading P1907 scabbard, most informative and easy to find using the search facility above.

Dave.

Edited by Dave66

Is the 7J/B stamp very small ?

If so, it is likely to be a partial inspection stamp, certifiying that the locket is fit for purpose; the full stamp would be crown/7J/B.

I have a 1909 scabbard that is stamped (very tiny) broad arrow/EFD/35 (locket) and broad arrow/EFD/128 (chape); these signify that the parts were manufactured, inspected and accepted into govt. service at the Royal Small Arms Factory, Enfield (RSAF).

Another locket is stamped crown/6P/italic B, where the italic B indicates made at Sparkbrook, Birmingham I believe; I also stand to be corrected !!

You will also find inspection stamps on the flat of the blade, near the cross-piece of the bayonet.

Your locket has the curved edges ("figured" in P.1907 bayonet-speak), is the chape also figured ?

Finally, what is the shape of the stud on the locket ? They were originally made pear-shaped, but a round stud was allowed for Great War manufacture for expediency.

Welcome to the GWF world of bayonets, but I feel obliged to pass on the warning that was issued to me: it can be a very slippery slope to negotiate, with almost no going back !!! 

Regards,

JMB

P.S. We would all like to see some photos of the bayonet.

9 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

P.S. We would all like to see some photos of the bayonet.

Definitely more photos of bayonet and scabbard needed if possible.

16 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

... from memory = Wax (finish) on the leather?

16 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

... Well hold on -- I cannot find the reference so I may well be in error. I will need keep looking but......I am sure Shipping Steel or JMB or one of the others will be along soon to correct me! ... FOUND IT!

Skennerton and Richardson 'British and Commonwealth Bayonets' does say (p.202) that W = 'waxed' (post 1923)

14 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

... Welcome to the GWF world of bayonets, but I feel obliged to pass on the warning that was issued to me: it can be a very slippery slope to negotiate, with almost no going back !!! 

Tut-tut-tut, Chris -  List of Changes para 26030, published September 1923.... for scabbards being impregnated with heated paraffin wax and polished afterwards... !!!:thumbsup:

Yes, Dave66, take JMB's warning to heart... I have some 175 of the damns things now!

46 minutes ago, trajan said:

Yes, Dave66, take JMB's warning to heart... I have some 175 of the damns things now!

Slowly catching up...but as you know, always room for another!!!

15 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Slowly catching up...but as you know, always room for another!!!

Problems really start to come when after getting the bayonets sorted out, then come collecting the medals... Then the documents... Then the photographs... And the cartridge cases... Hope you have a large residence and an understanding partner/family!

23 minutes ago, trajan said:

Problems really start to come when after getting the bayonets sorted out, then come collecting the medals... Then the documents... Then the photographs... And the cartridge cases... Hope you have a large residence and an understanding partner/family!

Imaginative storage solutions and a sort of understanding wife...always costs me dear when she finds out I've brought anything new, as then we have to go clothes shopping!!!

Regards,

Dave.

19 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Imaginative storage solutions and a sort of understanding wife...always costs me dear when she finds out I've brought anything new, as then we have to go clothes shopping!!!

Been down and still travelling that road - but I quote the 26 minute rule to avoid the last bit - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2356781/Men-bored-just-26-MINUTES-shopping--women-2-hours.html

15 minutes ago, trajan said:

Been down and still travelling that road - but I quote the 26 minute rule to avoid the last bit - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2356781/Men-bored-just-26-MINUTES-shopping--women-2-hours.html

And 26 minutes is on the generous side...I get bored in the car on the way!!

All the best,

Dave