Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edwin Adams naval career

phsvm

I'm trying to work out what Edwin Adams (b. 1882, Uxbridge) did from 1902 until 1919.

I've found an entry for him on Ancestry:

Name: Edwin Adams
Birth Date: 7 Nov 1880 (although this d.o.b is 2 years out I have enough evidence from else where to be certain this is him)
Birth Place: Uxbridge Middx
Service number: 300652
First Service Date: 6 May 1902
First Ship Served On: Duke Of Welln II
Last Service Date: 19 Sep 1902
Last Ship Served On: D Of Wellington II

I've looked at the record and I'm afraid I'm not familiar with navy forms so can anyone decipher it for me please? Am I reading it correctly in thinking that he enlisted on 6 May 1902 and joined the Duke of Wellington but was discharged on 19 September that year? There are some comments in the column about discharge but I don't know what they mean.

There is also an entry for him in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserves which I've downloaded from TNA which seems to say he was engaged from 1 May 1919 until he was demobbed on 9 September that year.

Can anyone help me understand what he did between 1902 and 1919? I still haven't found him on the 1911 census and why did he not rejoin the Navy until after the war?

As always, many thanks for your help.

The RNVR record is for post-war service in the Mine Clearance Service (MCS) in the mine-sweeping sloop HMS DAPHNE. DAPHNE was based on HMS GUNNER (Granton, Firth of Forth) and then on HMS GREENWICH (probably based in Copenhagen for mine-clearance in the Baltic).

He was one of just over 2,600 ratings who joined the RNVR in 1919 for this service. There is an RNVR enrolment for him at the Fleet Air Arm Museum. If the same man as 300652 (RN), it appears he did not declare in 1919 his former service as an RN stoker .

Stoker Edwin Adams (300652) did not earn WW1 medals so perhaps he did only have sixteen months service 1901-1902. Posting his record would help:-   http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6764489

Edited by horatio2

The comment in the Discharge column of 300652 Edwin Adams' Service Certificate reads DSQrs. Discharged to Sick Quarters.

Many thanks to both of you.

So the comments saying he was discharged to Sick Quarters doesn't really get me much further forward!  Did he have a cold or what he seriously ill?  I've now attached the relevant paper which doesn't seem to give any indication as to what happened after 1902 but if anyone can shed more light on him I'd really appreciate it.

Edwin Adams.png

I don't think the precise cause of his discharge has survived in any other records. The assumption must be that his discharge was the equivalent of being invalided. Nor is it possible to guess how much of his four months service was spent in sick quarters of HMS DUKE OF WELLINGTON, the Portsmouth barrack-ship.