Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniforms and Regiments

MotherMave

Hello everyone, I have some photographs of Soldiers and wondered if you could tell me what Regiments they are in please.  Many thanks for any help.   Mavis Williams

IMG_5649 2.jpg

IMG_5650 2.jpg

Top man seems to be ASC. Mounted role. He's wearing spurs. The three in the group could well be mounted ASC too wearing breeches. Have you tried a magnifier on the shoulder titles?

Edited by asanewt

Thanks for your reply, no I haven't but I do not know anything about uniforms or badges, but will have a go.     There is another photograph that I would be obliged if you would have a look at, we do not know if they are WW1 or WW2, any help with that would be great.   Many thanks again, regards, Mavis

IMG_5651 2.jpg

I thought that they were WW1, but would love to find out and also there are different badges again.   Mavis

• Admin

These look like WW1 Royal Fusilers to me.

Michelle 

Thanks Michelle, We thought that but they have different badges on, which is confusing.   Mavis

I'd agree with RF. Interestingly, three of them seem to be wearing a collar badge, but only on one lapel. I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures of the 13th Battalion (IIRC) with a numeral '13' - picture taken on the Somme. Given the age and number of wound stripes and mixture of equipment I wonder if these are Old Soldiers of that Battn.

Thank you Steven, I have never heard of "Wound Stripes" before, can you elaborate please?    Kind regards, Mavis

The chap seated at the right of the picture has three vertical strips (brass) on his cuff. Each of these denotes a wound. I believe they came in round about 1916.

Thank you Steven and Squirrel, very interesting, as it's the first time I have heard of wound stripes.   Thank you again, - Mavis

Hello Mothermave,

Purely on the second photograph, the three soldiers could be Artillery guys (perhaps Royal Field Artillery), but without seeing a cap badge, I cannot be definite.  The white lanyards, the bandoliers and the jodhpurs are clues however.  My first impression regarding the shoulder badges are that they are Territorials, but it is very hard to make them out.

What do other folks think?

V/R

Wayne

Without a clear squint at the shoulder titles they could be ASC, RE, RHA, RFA, cavalry or infantry transport...

Thank you Squirrel, It's very good of you to take more time to help.   Thank you again, - Mavis

On 18/01/2018 at 21:01, Steven Broomfield said:

I'd agree with RF. Interestingly, three of them seem to be wearing a collar badge, but only on one lapel. I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures of the 13th Battalion (IIRC) with a numeral '13' - picture taken on the Somme. Given the age and number of wound stripes and mixture of equipment I wonder if these are Old Soldiers of that Battn.

The picture I think you mean is from the IWM and features men from 13 RF, after a trench raid, with their booty. It is also shown on the front of a book about the Kensington Battalion, 23 RF. The No 13 is on their shoulder, not as a collar badge. IIRC collar badges were only introduced after the end of the war.

No. The picture I am thinking of is of the battalion on the march. I am aware that collar dogs were largely post-war, but it looks as if the chaps in the picture above have something on their collar, and it's too similar on each man to be a mark on the print. (It was some years since I saw the pictures, which are IWM ones, but I know it's not the ones to which you refer)

Thank you both so much, Steven and Donald.   I am learning all the time.   Mavis