Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed to convert a map reference

Jenny757

Hi, 

I have recently found my Great Granddad's concentration page online. There is a map reference for where his body was found which on Map 57 D Q.35.c.1. I have been on TMAPPER and I think that I have found the correct location, as I am able to enter all the details apart from the the x and the y value. Leaving these blank gives me a location but my question is, if I leave them blank is it the correct location?

Thanks in advance

Jenny

Map 2 where Great Granddad was found.JPG

Map where Great Granddad was found.JPG

Hi Jenny, 

what are your Great Granddad’s service details.  

Paisley Avenue Cemetery, Authuille was at 57d. Q. 30. d. 3. 2. Which was in the same area of your pictures.

look at Trench maps online,  Aveluy Wood is where your map reference took me too.  

Aveluy Wood Cemetery (Lancashire Dump) was at 57d Q. 35. d. 1. 7.  So I expected that your great granddad was buired there.  Without his details I would he is now buired in Lonsdale Cemetery 

i would say that you hit the spot, give or take a few feet of his original place of burial 

Edited by thetrenchrat22

Hi,

My great grandfather was Able Seaman James Hutchinson R/5790, he served in the RND – Anson Battalion, Royal Naval Division, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve. He was killed in action on 9th April 1918 and re-buried in Aveluy Wood Cemetery.  We are hoping to go over to France on the 9th of April this year as it will be 100 years since he was killed, so I am trying to find the location of his death and we can visit there as well.

Jenny

The war diary will give an idea of where his unit was on the day he died.  

WO/3111/1 from the National Archives for a small fee can be downloaded 

I would say his body was was brought back and buried in the Wood by his comrades in a isolated grave as per the CWGC website and finally buired in Aveluy Wood Cemetery 

Wow really? That's very interesting, thank you. I can't imagine what it would have been like to go through something like that. My Great Granddad wasn't even 30 when he died and my Grandma never even got to meet him. It is so incredible what those soldiers sacrificed. 

It seems that 10 from the Anson Battalion died on that day from the CWGC website, 7 have an Unknown Grave and 3 have a known grave, which your great granddad was one of them.

looking at the graves of the other two, it is possible that your great granddad was wounded and brought back to a First Aid Post in Aveluy Wood and died of his wounds before he could be moved further down the line.  

The war diary should give a better picture of what happened that day