Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photograph queries

BillyH

I am pretty sure that this man has a standard King's Liverpool cap badge, but I stand to be corrected!

Can any real uniform experts deduce anything else from the uniform, such as the pleated breastpockets. Could it be pre-war?

He isn't wearing a belt either, and I don't recall seeing that on a studio photograph before.

I can't give a name because the soldiers 's identity is not known.

BillyH.

5a5f58b7cbb04_gwf2.jpg.e2f83e82f450759965eed606e22ba93a.jpg5a5f58abeaa0f_gwf1.jpg.d9268d0f3514cce558217f7fe65d1251.jpg

I'd agree with the cap badge. Can't say about the rest.

The pleated pockets were on the original pattern of service dress, which was temporarily replaced by the simplified pattern without pleats in the drive to speed up production for Kitchener's army.  The original pattern was reinstated however once the backlog had been cleared.  The photo could therefore be either pre-war or wartime.  Infantrymen were usually photographed in studios wearing a belt, but I suspect this was just them trying to look their best, or following their regimental orders as to walking out dress.  There are certainly plenty of photos of them in studios without belts (there are a couple in the Haynes "Great War Tommy" book in fact).  Do you have access to the original photo?  If so there may be some dating evidence on the back by looking up the photographer's studio or the style of their logo if there are any such details displayed.  Even the format of simple post card backs can sometimes help to narrow down the date.

Thanks for that Carter.

No reverse side, it's an image I lifted from Ancestry and I asked the owner of the family tree the same question. 

They don't have the original postcard and they are not able to check with the original owner.

BillyH.