Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WANTED - Casualties on Memorials or buried in the UK and Ireland

temptage

I've been putting it off and putting it off but I have now relented and am forging on with my own Big Push. I have checked on websites like Find A Grave and Billion Graves for photos, but without luck. If there are photos on their records, they are not of the size and resolution I require. Hence why I am asking on here.

I have several casualties buried across the UK, or named on a Memorial, that I am hoping to get photos of their name or headstone. I realise some of the names are from WW2, but I am hoping to find people in the vicinity of each place, who are able to help. This is my list.

UNITED KINGDOM

NORTHERN IRELAND

Killyleagh Church Of Ireland Churchyard - A. 471 - Atkinson, Harry

SHROPSHIRE

Bridgnorth Cemetery - S. 940 - Hall, John Herman

SUFFOLK

Lowestoft Naval Memorial - 28 names

WILTSHIRE

Tidworth Military Cemetery - Sec. F. (C. of E.). Grave 120 - Hosted, Isaac Ernest

Edited by temptage
Updated list

Hello, I  had a look on your list re the closest to me, Newbury/Botley. And it is very annoying the photos on Find a Grave, complete waste of time putting those two up by those members. The Botley one is just lazy and god knows why the newbury one is sepia. I will endeavour to get them for you when I pass unless somebody beats me to it. I have sent a friends request on the FAG to remind me. You can get the Iraq ones yourself.

8 hours ago, temptage said:

LONDON

Hither Green Cemetery - B. B. 122 - Dawes, Horace John

Put me down to do this one - it's my local cemetery. The other war, so I don't already have it.

Phil

Are you trying to aquire a picture of every WW1 grave marker in the British  Isles ?.

If so thats one hell of a job.  round my patch there are some church grave yards  with only one or two grave markers,  and one church has had all the markers removed, and resited in the local cemetery.

Horace John Dawes at Hither Green is done and I've PM'ed you a link to the Dropbox file.

Phil

Edited by Phil Evans

If you are not in a hurry I can address the names on the Naval Memorial in Portsmouth. However these are not for men buried in the UK, but for men lost or buried at sea and commemorated on the memorial.   if you PM the names can you put them in panel rather than alpha order please as that is the way they will be easiest to pick up.

keith

14 hours ago, temptage said:

Thanks Phil. Do you have a larger version/original of the photo as its a little too small for what I need.

I should have - I'll email it.

9 hours ago, Phil Wood said:

I should have - I'll email it.

16 hours ago, Phil Evans said:

Horace John Dawes at Hither Green is done and I've PM'ed you a link to the Dropbox file.

Phil

Thank you Phils (plural)

Hi, I will try to get you a photo from Rose hill. Doncaster Carol Herbert Brown. Bear with me probably get there Monday. Regards. Hope these are ok. If not let me knowJim 

Brown 1.jpeg

Brown 2.jpeg

Edited by Jim Mitchell

4 hours ago, Jim Mitchell said:

Hi, I will try to get you a photo from Rose hill. Doncaster Carol Herbert Brown. Bear with me probably get there Monday. Regards. Hope these are ok. If not let me knowJim 

Jim, unfortunately those two images are not of the size and quality i need. As high resolution as possible, if possible. I would also appreciate it if you could email it to me when you have it. Thanks

Sorry I`m using a 10 megapixel camera it`s all I have. I will ask around and see if any of my friends can help.

Jim / Temptage,

I would think that the originals are fine, assuming the camera is set to a decent quality image. The forum has reduced them during the uploading. The one I looked at was 90kB, 480 x 800px.

I use a 14Mp camera and a basic photo is 5MB in its raw state on the normal setting.

Phil

The originals are 500 kb and 900 kb I think if I emailed the originals they would suffice. if you post your e mail address we can give it a try. Cheers and thank you Phil.

Thanks Jim. The 4MB photos are exactly what I was looking/hoping for. Thanks again

Well

Cosgrove. P. Pte. 4947..JPG

On 1/17/2018 at 17:19, diver99 said:

Hello, I  had a look on your list re the closest to me, Newbury/Botley. And it is very annoying the photos on Find a Grave, complete waste of time putting those two up by those members. The Botley one is just lazy and god knows why the newbury one is sepia. I will endeavour to get them for you when I pass unless somebody beats me to it. I have sent a friends request on the FAG to remind me. You can get the Iraq ones yourself.

Thanks for the offer. A photo from Newbury has been forwarded to me, but I would still appreciate it if you could get the one at Botley. No rush.

On 1/17/2018 at 23:29, Retlaw said:

Are you trying to aquire a picture of every WW1 grave marker in the British  Isles ?.

If so thats one hell of a job.  round my patch there are some church grave yards  with only one or two grave markers,  and one church has had all the markers removed, and resited in the local cemetery.

No. Only the ones that I have listed above.

On 1/18/2018 at 17:28, keithmroberts said:

If you are not in a hurry I can address the names on the Naval Memorial in Portsmouth. However these are not for men buried in the UK, but for men lost or buried at sea and commemorated on the memorial.   if you PM the names can you put them in panel rather than alpha order please as that is the way they will be easiest to pick up.

keith

Thanks for the offer. PM on its way Keith. Theres no rush.

3 hours ago, depaor01 said:

Are you still looking for John Charles Barber in Grangegorman?

I am indeed.

Here he is. It was taken this morning after a shower so looks a bit darker than it would otherwise be. Not sure if that affects your ability to use it.

JCBarber

It's 10MB so resolution-wise it should work.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Fantastic clarity and don't worry about it being darkened because of the rain. A little tweak with the brightness will sort that.

41 minutes ago, temptage said:

Thanks Dave. Fantastic clarity and don't worry about it being darkened because of the rain. A little tweak with the brightness will sort that.

Good to hear. Happy to help with your project.

I've loaded it onto Findagrave also.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...