Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tincourt headstone question

Ant B

Hi

I recently visited the grave of my great grand uncle in Tincourt New British Cemetery.

I am just wondering if anyone has any idea at all why the headstone has a semi circle cut out of the top right corner of the headstone ?

It's not broke off, it looks like it has been deliberately carved from the stone like that.

I was a little confused as no other headstone in the cemetery is like that.

Thanks

Ant 

TLO_6719.JPG

The headstone sheet on the CWGC  website shows Badge Design No and Layout No as Y/1038/1A.  Where others are without the Y

have you you looked at the CWGC website, there is a document somewhere on there which gives what is recorded on the headstone schedules, the COB, The GRRF 

i know ive seen post 1945 headstones with both corners craved out as above but not on a single side for a WW1 headstone 

• Admin

It looks like frost damage to me, I’ve seen a few stones like that these last few days. Usually the piece that’s fallen off is on the soil nearby 

17 hours ago, thetrenchrat22 said:

The headstone sheet on the CWGC  website shows Badge Design No and Layout No as Y/1038/1A.  Where others are without the Y

have you you looked at the CWGC website, there is a document somewhere on there which gives what is recorded on the headstone schedules, the COB, The GRRF 

i know ive seen post 1945 headstones with both corners craved out as above but not on a single side for a WW1 headstone 

I've just seen the CWGC website. Do you have any idea what the 'Y' indicates ? As you say the rest don't have it and its the only headstone in the cemetery with the corner missing.

14 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

It looks like frost damage to me, I’ve seen a few stones like that these last few days. Usually the piece that’s fallen off is on the soil nearby 

Possibly frost damage but its a perfect cut on the corner and it's the only headstone in the cemetery that has the corner missing. I did look whilst I was there and the corner piece isn't on the ground near the headstone.

I would suggest that you contact the CWGC and ask them

5 hours ago, thetrenchrat22 said:

I would suggest that you contact the CWGC and ask them

Thank you.

I see you are interested in the Cheshire Regiment. My other great grand uncle was in the Cheshire 16th Battalion and KIA near Houlthurst Wood in Oct 1917 and buried at Artillery Wood and my Great Grandad was also in the Cheshires and made it back alive

Edited by Ant B

• Admin

Ant, I took the liberty of emailing the cwgc and they agreed it looks like frost damage. 

Michelle 

2 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Ant, I took the liberty of emailing the cwgc and they agreed it looks like frost damage. 

Michelle 

Ah thank you Michelle. That's a mystery solved !

Anthony