Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Elusive Helion & History Press Hardbacks?

Wayne Harris

I'm trying to find and purchase copies of Paul Kendall's Bullecourt 1917, Spencer Jones Stemming The Tide, and Ralph Whitehead's The Other Side of The Wire Volume 1, all in hardback. Unfortunately however, for books not printed that long ago, they are proving pretty elusive other than some on Amazon at quite high prices, and from sellers that generally specialize in ex-library books, so you don't often see what you are getting!

I just wondered if these titles had a small print run, or just maybe because they are quite recent they have not started to surface as second hand yet

Thanks in advance for any help

All 3 are listed as available in hardback on ABE- non-ex-lib.  Kendall seems well represented and should be under £20.

Whitehead-Other Side of the Wire I-a bit more expensive- and maybe chancy as the entries are mainly from listers, rather than straight secondhamnd sellers who would physically have the book.

Spencer-expensive in the UK-but you may care to look at the copy from Books from California- a company that snaps up small US stocks of European and British publishers. They have one listed at a more advantageous price-Your credit card may not like it overall but it will not melt-the Spencer is under half the price of the British listed ones.

Try looking on www.bookfinder.com-this is a metasearch engine that pulls other listing sites together.

I just checked with Helion as I want a hardback copy myself. Unfortunately it was an out of date listing and has now been removed.

23 minutes ago, 6th Border said:

I just checked with Helion as I want a hardback copy myself. Unfortunately it was an out of date listing and has now been removed.

Recurrent problem.  As a semi-retired bookseller, well familiar with "ghosts" on systems.  Thus, Book Depository is out-it is just a listing of new books-and pretty much any lister beyond that will be just working from listings. Ergode Books in Texas should be avoided whatever they list.   Books from California will actually have the book-looks the cheapest option for that one.

• Admin

The Other Side of the Wire Vol 1 was a limited print run. I can't remember how many were printed but I think it wasn't more than 1000. The small run,  price and subject matter meant it was not a book someone with only  passing interest in the war would have bought so the second hand market would be pretty tight I imagine.

Also, each book was numbered and signed by the author. I don't know if collectors would add a premium for something like that but the book trade would certainly try to charge more. The same with a casual seller on say ebay.

Many’s thanks for your input and suggestions. I’ve gone with a “very good” copy of Bullecourt for £23 inc p&p on Amazon and will look at those other sites

many thanks

15 hours ago, spof said:

book trade would certainly try to charge more.

No, I wouldn't.  A print run of 1000 copies is about the norm-or more than the norm for a scholarly non-fiction book. Signed and numbered on that quantity means nothing.

8 hours ago, Ralph J. Whitehead said:

In regard to The Other Side of the Wire they are all runs of 750 hard covers.

Ralph

Thanks Ralph-    That sounds spot on. One of my old customers, an Oxford History don, had his first book accepted for publication by the Oxford University Press many years ago. - a sign of prestige. He was very pleased about it.Their contract letter outlined an increasingly generous scale of royalties-upwards from 850 sales.  He duly signed up. A month or so later, the production advice came through-  yes, you've guessed it.... print run=750. 

Another had written the scholarly biography of an English Nineteenth Century economist (Thomas Tooke)- rather bizarrely published in the United States by University of Michigan Press.......  with the print run exactly as seems the norm.  He taught in Israel so it seemed an odd choice-but needs must in academia-"publish or perish"--- He was very pleased to see a copy of his book for sale in my old shop.  Alas, I didn't have the heart to tell him that an American remainder bookseller had it for sale cheap-and had 680 copies of it. Oh dear-allowing for production runs, file copies and reviews, it meant his actual sales were a few dozen at most.

So congratulations on a good book, well produced and with the right publisher 

So congratulations on a good book, well produced and with the right publisher

Many thanks. It was a good choice for a publisher, though they actually chose me after quite a few rejections and letters stating 'interesting subject, just not what we are looking for at present'.

Other side 1 & 2 ordered and eagerly await Volume 3. I annoyingly hesitated on a hardcover of Stemming the Tide for about £45 from the US on Amazon and it was snapped up!

Edited by Wayne Harris

On 19/01/2018 at 21:32, Wayne Harris said:

Other side 1 & 2 ordered and eagerly await Volume 3. I annoyingly hesitated on a hardcover of Stemming the Tide for about £45 from the US on Amazon and it was snapped up!

Seems to still be listed on Amazon in uk- www.amazon.co.uk at a pre-publication price of £45 (more than one listing), with publication listed in February 2018.  I am not sure where you are (US?) but if so, then the US listing will probably reappear shortly. If Amazon have pre-dealt to get that price, then it should pop up again pronto,

Hope that helps

13 minutes ago, Wayne Harris said:

Thanks Mike, I’m actually in Buckinghamshire UK

Well, to me Bucks. has always seemed a bit remote and hill-billy anywhere north of Ayelsbury- but have a good look at Amazon  UK- If it is not yet published here until next month, then I reckon that Amazon price will be the cheapest for quite some time.And will be honoured

Edited by Guest

Wait until any Helion book is actually published, then look at Amazon again, and you will usually, but not always, find that the book is on sale from Dagwood at a lower price. Dagwood are an offshoot of Helion.

I had a hardback book published by Helion back in 2016, & several more by The History Press (in paperback) some years prior to that. All of them (WW1 related) ended up on the Naval & Military Press website in due course. Some recently published books have clearly become sought after. And mine are available as well...

58 minutes ago, paulgranger said:

Wait until any Helion book is actually published, then look at Amazon again, and you will usually, but not always, find that the book is on sale from Dagwood at a lower price. Dagwood are an offshoot of Helion.

Splendid advice-  I regret my ignorance as an antiquarian bookseller limits my knowledge of the new book market.  What converts a lump of paper into a thing of value is an enduring mystery to me-why is one lump of printed paper (eg a free newspaper) binned as worthless-while another-called a "monograph" will set you back a small fortune. 

I will be watching with interest. 

Splendid advice-  I regret my ignorance as an antiquarian bookseller limits my knowledge of the new book market.  What converts a lump of paper into a thing of value is an enduring mystery to me-why is one lump of printed paper (eg a free newspaper) binned as worthless-while another-called a "monograph" will set you back a small fortune. 

I will be watching with interest. 

Can recall reading some years ago, a book with the title 'A Pound of Paper' or similar, was the confessions of an avid book collector, dealer and enthusiast.  Remember it as an amusing and enjoyable read.  Anyone else familiar with this title?

Just found it on the net published 2002 and by John Baxter

Mike.

At the risk of being branded a heretic, a number of Helion's titles, including Ralph's first volume, are available in Kindle format at less than a fiver. Of course, you can't beat a proper physical book, but still......

35 minutes ago, paulgranger said:

At the risk of being branded a heretic, a number of Helion's titles, including Ralph's first volume, are available in Kindle format at less than a fiver. Of course, you can't beat a proper physical book, but still......

Ok- heretic!!

54 minutes ago, Wayne Harris said:

£700+ for book printed a few years ago is crazy - not sure who would pay this? (Via Amazon Marketplace)

Which book?

Nick, I actually have one of your titles in my ‘to read’ stack, Dauntless Courage on The Somme, looking forward to reading it.