Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Gronw Richards. Welsh Reg. Moylegrove Pembs.

GWF1967

William Gronw Richards.  B. April 1880. Moylegrove, Pembrokeshire. Mother. Rachael.   Lived. New Inn, Moylegrove.   Enlisted. Cardigan. 23/02/00   Pte. 7533 Welsh Regiment.  (Previously 1st V.B. Welsh Reg.) 

South Africa 25/02/01 - 01/08/02. 

(No mention on Ancestry S.A records; less than 18mths service?).  "Discharged own request on return from S.A. 02/08/02".   

M. 1906. Wife - Mary Ann.

I was told he later served in the Great War (Aged 34 in 1914) but am having trouble tracing him. I've no idea which regiment he may have served with. There are a few records for William G. Richards, Welsh Regiment, a William Gordon and a couple of George's. As his is an unusual name ( Welsh -  Hunter/Warrior, lover of Blodeuwedd, murderer of Lleu Llaw Gyffes)  it may have been wrongly recorded/transcribed. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scan_20180113.jpg

Any info regarding later life GWF?

Date of death etc?

Richards although not especially very common in this area, Richards, Moylegrove immediately makes me think of the local bus company.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richards_Brothers

...which started carrying passengers in the late 1930s by William Goronwy Richards.

I could make enquiries if you think that might help?

7533 WG Richards QSA medal with following clasps

Cape Colony

Orange Free State

Transvaal

SA1901

SA1902

2nd Volunteer Service Company 1sr Welsh.

1939 Register b 10/4/1880. Poss death 16/9/1956.

Edited by Mark1959

20 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Any info regarding later life GWF?

Date of death etc?

Richards although not especially very common in this area, Richards, Moylegrove immediately makes me think of the local bus company.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richards_Brothers

...which started carrying passengers in the late 1930s by William Goronwy Richards.

I could make enquiries if you think that might help?

Hello Dai,

sorry,  I forgot to list the probate details, thanks for looking.

D.16th Sept.1956 Probate. 30th Jan. 1957

Edited by GWF1967
Date of Death edited.

25 minutes ago, Mark1959 said:

7533 WG Richards QSA medal with following clasps

Cape Colony

Orange Free State

Transvaal

SA1901

SA1902

2nd Volunteer Service Company 1sr Welsh.

1939 Register b 10/4/1880

Many thanks Mark.

Don’t think the probate 1944 is him. More likely “Gronow” in 1956 with address in. Moylegrove. Wife Mary Ann still alive in 1939. Widow shown as Hannnah in 1944 record - seems unlikely

GWF,

If still serving in about August 1918 he should appear on the Absent Voters List 1918. 

If he was still living in Pembrokeshire, it can be consulted at the Pembs. County Records Office in Haverfordwest (I've used it myself in the past), and there may also be a copy at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.  The Lists are arranged by parish, and give address and usually his military/naval details. 

If he was living elsewhere in Wales, it depends -  the six old North Wales counties held at the NLW.  Cardiganshire does have a copy at its CRO in Aberystwyth, but it's simply an amended version of the Civil Voting List in which men serving are mixed in with the civilians and simply have "NM" (Naval & Military") next to their names, no service details!  

Elsewhere, Carmarthenshire only has the 1919 or 1920 editon.  Part of Glamorgan only; nil for Brecknockshire I think, or Radnor, ?part of Monmouthshire.   Not sure which of those are at the NLW.  

Clive

19 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

Don’t think the probate 1944 is him. More likely “Gronow” in 1956 with address in. Moylegrove. Wife Mary Ann still alive in 1939. Widow shown as Hannnah in 1944 record - seems unlikely

Right you are. 

Hmm!

1 hour ago, clive_hughes said:

GWF,

If still serving in about August 1918 he should appear on the Absent Voters List 1918. 

If he was still living in Pembrokeshire, it can be consulted at the Pembs. County Records Office in Haverfordwest (I've used it myself in the past), and there may also be a copy at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.  The Lists are arranged by parish, and give address and usually his military/naval details. 

If he was living elsewhere in Wales, it depends -  the six old North Wales counties held at the NLW.  Cardiganshire does have a copy at its CRO in Aberystwyth, but it's simply an amended version of the Civil Voting List in which men serving are mixed in with the civilians and simply have "NM" (Naval & Military") next to their names, no service details!  

Elsewhere, Carmarthenshire only has the 1919 or 1920 editon.  Part of Glamorgan only; nil for Brecknockshire I think, or Radnor, ?part of Monmouthshire.   Not sure which of those are at the NLW.  

Clive

Thank you Clive.