Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Red Baron's fuel tank rediscovered ?

ss002d6252

Just seen this article about the 'Red Baron's fuel tank' being rediscovered in storage. The logic around this fuel tank being used to support the Australian claim to shooting him down in a bit of a stretch in itself though.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5272943/Mystery-famous-war-death-deepens-fuel-tank-found.html

Craig

I agree the fuel tank as 'evidence' of Australian groundfire being the source of his demise is quite a leap.  

There are some good articles that analyse the battle in some detail. This is one of the better ones, I think: http://net.lib.byu.edu/~rdh7/wwi/comment/richt.htm

There is also an excellent analysis of the action in the AWM Journal article by Newton (1986) Spectre of the Red Baron Parts 1 and 2, in the AWM Journal no.8 (April 1986) and October (1986). I can't seem to locate it on line, unfortunately. 

I don't think there is any doubt that he was shot down by groundfire, and Popkin's Vickers seems to be the most likely source, but since just about every .303 LMG and MG in the vicinity were banging away at him, who can tell with absolute certainty which weapon fired the fatal .303?. 

Mike

The key word in the article is " BRASS " fuel tank. That alone tells you this story is tosh.

The Germans couldn't afford to use this metal for an aircraft.It was too scarce [and too heavy].

Edited by nils d

26 minutes ago, nils d said:

The key word in the article is " BRASS " fuel tank. That alone tells you this story is tosh.

The Germans couldn't afford to use this metal for an aircraft.It was too scarce [and too heavy].

Brass (8.730 t/m3) is only about 8% denser than steel (8.050 t/m3) , so that in itself doesn't exclude it.

I saw a magazine illustration many yrs ago that depicted the triplane flying low over the ground & dozens of infantrymen firing at him with their rifles, also .303. As stated, the truth will never be known for sure.